Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

MoT Failed for Headlights Being Too Dim!

The first MoT for my Corrado and it did quite well - it failed on a few minor niggles such as rubber missing on brake pedal, one of the headlights being a bit loose, the one that made me smile a bit was a comment that the lights were too dim - i was going to say its a Corrado thing - but the guy said they were so dim they did not show up at all on his meter to check the aim of the light... he said it could be the reflectors, i think its just as i have not invested in an uprated headloom yet.. any thoughts?

The serious ones were leaking rear shock absorber which hopefully i can get fixed and then be able to keep one more corrado on the road for at least another year 8)

It might be the reflectors, true enough - if moisture has got in the silvering may have degraded quite badly. First things first though get some new bulbs - at least go to http://www.powerbulbs.com and buy the Osram Silver Stars (+50%) bulbs.

Yep, pedal rubbers are 60p from GSF... and check the 3 screws holding in the headlamp, if one of the lugs is broken either get the glue out or fork out £100 for a new lamp unit...

Lights - get the loom off Gavin and but some decent bulbs (GSF and Maplins now sell the Silverstar bulbs also) and you should be able to see if the reflectors are bad, if you can't see them then you probably need new headlamp lenses too...

im shocked that you can fail on a pedal rubber, what about all these cars with metal pedals like the 206 oem set.

im shocked that you can fail on a pedal rubber, what about all these cars with metal pedals like the 206 oem set.

Yeah, my thoughts as well.

I'd think the metal is cut in such a way as to privide grip on OEM and aftermarket metal pedals where as cars which usually have rubbers on the pedals arent going to have anything to provide grip underneith.

The pedals look like they are supposed to stay with just the metal and that they were changed to match the metal silver gear stick... to keep mr MoT happy though i've put a bit of rubber on.

The loose headlight is due to the brackets holding it on to the body both being broken - hopefully should be able to fix that one too - thanks for the advice about the bulbs guys - i'll get in touch with gavin and get those bulbs too.

The loose headlight is due to the brackets holding it on to the body both being broken

Two bodge solutions:

my eyebrow spoiler holds my lights in place! :roll:

My mate has had his brackets fixed - with bathroom sealant! :roll: :roll:

The loose headlight is due to the brackets holding it on to the body both being broken

And dont forget there was only 1 screw on it :lol: no jokes :)

at least you had a very thorough mot so you know exactly what the crack is!!

you`ll love the loom when it`s on

Update to this - my dad's been working away on the car this week and has said that just replacing the bulbs with a new pair of standard ones helped - then he disconnected the full beam inner lights and that helped more.

Strangely what id see before was that when the full beams were on.. and the inner lights [the two nearest the grill] came on BUT the outer main lights would get dimmer.

We are hoping that as its setup now will get it through the MoT.

With the inner lights disconnected the full beam warning light on the dash now lights up (it wasnt doing so before).

I think the car is going in for its retest this morning.... fingers crossed...

This weekend i hope to get the loom in, put a new 'Corrado Forum' numberplate surround on, new numberplates

Sounds like a bad earth some where on the spotlights, try reconnecting one at a time to see which side it is.

Sounds like fitting the loom would fix you up but it would be hiding the other problem..

gavin

I agree with you Gavin - i think my dad's approach is get the bare minimum working to get through the MoT - then once that passes try working out exactly what is happening

Got the car through the MoT!

Thanks to Gavin for his value snippets of advice and others on here too.

Having gotten used to a Mercedes A160 my 16 Valve Corrado has never felt so good to drive! 8) Celebrated by buying a new back numberplate - still got Gavin's loom to go too 8)

Also took out a dent from one of the wings - my dad drilled a small hole in the wing - screwed in a self tapping screw.. then pulled the screw out with a pair of pliers!! The result was not too bad at all - filled up the whole and need to tidy the area up etc but no big crator in the wing now!