Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Golf Mark IV - not as crap as journos say?

My daughter bought a Golf 4 1.6 this week. I went with her to the dealers and test drove it during the week. We collected it today and drove it a lot more.

It was registered in Jan 2002 and has about 28k miles on it.

Frankly, I find it quite a good drive, solid, taught and comfortable.

I know this version of the Golf has had a lot of adverse publicity, but do any of you think this was just Jeremy and Tiff types being hypercritical?

My own feeling is that unless it's a tail-happy overpowered job you have to criticise many perfectly sound cars to preserve your macho/"I know all about cars" image. :evil:

If you really know the car, let's have your views.

from what i`ve heard its the electrics and the window guides?? that are the main problems

apart from that i hope it serves your daughter well

They always compare it to a mk1

when They keep moaning the golf has put weight on,so what if you like a golf mk1 you would really buy a polo wouldnt you.

We went and looked at one Craigowl,nice solid safe drive,we were almost talked into a leon or an ibiza theres no comparison to the golf

its a far better drive,nice and soft and feels effortless,ours was a 1.6 too

Roy

Think they're OK, but the 2.0 GTI is terrible! How can VW manage to get sooo little power from a 2 litre?!

Agreed, the 8V 2.0 is an pretty awful car imo and is not a nice drive at all.

Wallowy, no steering feel and the 2.0 8V engine is boomy and coarse.

As for refinement, my VR6 is a lot quieter than most MK4s I've been in.

I'm sure a breathed on MK4 would be as entertaining as a good rado, but as standard they're not an enticing prospect imo.

Yep the GTi is a bit of a joke performance wise, but the general build quality and finish of the MK4 puts most other cars of that type to shame. I do have a soft spot for the TDi versions, had many as hire cars...absolutely fantastic. I love Top Gear but generally take what Clarkson etc says with a pinch of salt, look how many Mk4 Golfs there are on the road.....that says it all to me.

My daughter bought a Golf 4 1.6 this week. I went with her to the dealers and test drove it during the week. We collected it today and drove it a lot more.

It was registered in Jan 2002 and has about 28k miles on it.

Frankly, I find it quite a good drive, solid, taught and comfortable.

I know this version of the Golf has had a lot of adverse publicity, but do any of you think this was just Jeremy and Tiff types being hypercritical?

My own feeling is that unless it's a tail-happy overpowered job you have to criticise many perfectly sound cars to preserve your macho/"I know all about cars" image. :evil:

If you really know the car, let's have your views.

My 1.6 16v mk4 is nice enough, quality is OK although some areas are a bit ropey, never had any major problems in 30,000 miles apart from a dead coil pack but got that paid for by VW as they were known to be problematic in 2000-ish

It's very wallowy though, the damping isn't good enough as standard and the tyres are geared very much to comfort, it's just not even close to an old shape focus on ride and handling as standard but it's predictable and safe and the 1.6 16v lump is not bad considering the car is heavier than my corrado, it's a bit harsh at higher revs though.

Oh - get the cambelt done on time, the tension rollers self destruct, I nearly destroyed my head when it started making a noise from the pulleys, fortunately I stopped the car just in time. I think VW have changed the design of the parts several times.

David.