Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

series vs parallel

i replaced the dash speakers last weekend with some little *cough* full range speakers rather than going for just tweeters. With the OEM speakers there were two wires running in, then 2 wires coming back out again which I assume then run down to the doors. Basically I chopped the 'in' wires and used one of those little white connector blocks to wire up the new speakers, leaving the 'out' wires down to the doors disconnected.

my question is: when i come to reconnect the 'out' wires for some door speakers I was just going to pop them into the same connector block as the dash speakers, but it occured to me that they would then be running in parallel rather than in series as the OEM ones do, is that good/bad/indifferent?

It's only bad if the total load the Head Unit/Amplifier sees exceeds it's maximum rating. Most modern HUs are OK up to 8ohms and decent amps can go down to 2. A HU won't like 2 ohms though. Do you know the impeadances of the units you're using? As a rule, resistance halves when run in parallel and doubles in series.....

the dash speakers are 4ohms, not sure what the door ones will be, although I've just agreed to buy some infinity5002i's which the infinity site says are also 4ohms. I'll have to dig my headunit manual out and see if it'll take 2ohms then!

Do it in serial. 8 ohms is perfectly fine... Low ohms is bad, hard to drive, makes it very easy to fry the electronics, high ohms just means it might sound a bit quieter, but is much less risky.

They are wired in parallel at the moment because the origional speakers were just tweeters and the doors had mid-bass units so the head unit only sees what the x-overs let it so only sees 4ohms at the head unit.

I think the tweeters have a 2nd order 12db per octave roll off x-over somewhere up at 12K, not great speakers but easy to make good.

Chris