Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

VW Corrado to Merecedes A-Class

Anyone else driven the Mercedes A-Class for any length of time?

I have to say i am impressed with its handling, i dont feel too stable and steady in such a high seating position [especially coming from driving a corrado where ur low to the ground] - but round corners and and winding country roads i gotta say its done better that i felt it would.

I am driving the A160 - so about 100bhp, still missing that extra power and fun of driving the Corrado, but i cannot complain at all - last time i the car was in the garage for a while i was going round in a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 :roll:

Cant wait to get back in my C tho 8)

a friend of mine had a 3 year old A-class which he had quite a few problems with, including rust around the fuel flap where the filler neck is spot welded to the body, after sending it back to merc 8 times to try and sort it out (including 3 rear quarter re-sprays none of which matched the rest of the car) he finally got a re-fund from the merc garage and was really pi$$ed off with the way he had been treated.

and then went and bought a smart roadster :lol:

The new A class is supposed to be very good, sharing many of the refinements and materials from the SL!

They handle OK at moderate speeds but they don't like quick changes of direction at speed, such as S bends for example.....feels like that old toppling over problem might happen, but they've fixed that, so it shouldn't!

Having worked in a Mercedes dealership and driven a few a classes, i never liked them at all, the quality was inferior we used to always get problems with electrics and they expensive to maintain for a car of that class.

Kev the amount of warranty work done on leaking seals on the latest

SLs i can understand that they share same materials as the A class :)

General thought, they are not built as well as they were used to.

Horrible, unreliable cars !!

Serious problems/design faults -

rear suspension arms

steering column

steering rack

instrument cluster

VERY uncomfortable seats - try doing a 200 mile journey in one

New W169 chassis A-Class are supposedly much better. :wink:

Not a fan, especially if you are unlucky enough to have one with the loathsome semi-automatic gearbox. A friend of mine swears by them, but I just swear at them.

Love the look of the new ones actually.. the new one thats in the TV commercial looks very well styled!