Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

removing mouldings...

I've done a few cars (couple of scirocco's and a rado) with a heat gun and never lost any paint in the process.

I normally use some whit spirit to soften the left over glue then rub it off with a cloth.

Make sure you give the paint a good polish afterwards.

you want something called a caramel whell which strangely smells of caramel and is soft rubber - i've removed mine and it took atll the crap off in minutes without any damage - i'll see how much they are and can send them out if anyones interested

you want something called a caramel whell which strangely smells of caramel and is soft rubber - i've removed mine and it took atll the crap off in minutes without any damage - i'll see how much they are and can send them out if anyones interested

I'd be interested in this, I cant find one anywhere.

In the past ive de-badged/trimmed my cars using dental floss (honest)

Get a lenth and wrap each end around your index fingers, get it behind the bit you want to remove and use a gentle sawing motion, its never damaged the paint and helps prevent tooth decay! :roll:

caramel wheel is used in bodyshops and is basically a soft rubber wheel you put on the end of your drill.

works great but can lift the paint if you're not carefull with it! ;)

i think you'd have to be pretty heavy handed or have bad paint work to damage it with a caramel wheel

safer than using noxious fluids o remove the remaining glue etc - i'll get a price

F**k a doo del doo.....

Just removed my front offside moulding. Figured it was a hot day so it may just pull straight off.............. BIG MISTAKE....

Pulled of the paint aswell.... Oh Bo****ks. Need to go to halfords and get some paint tomorrow then!!!

Sorry about the rant, just a little pi**ed off....

Soz about the swearing too.

I'll be happier once i get it fixed

Ads

I took one of mine off a few weeks back to see what it was like. Couple of small bits of paint came off as well.. :(

Then I put it back on.

If ever I got a smack in the door without them i'd always blame the fact that I took them off, regardless of whether they'd have made a difference!

Beware of some muppet previosly spraying the car with them on.

Mine came off and went back on in the same day.

Got to wait for the respray now :cry:

I took one of mine off a few weeks back to see what it was like. Couple of small bits of paint came off as well.. :(

Then I put it back on.

If ever I got a smack in the door without them i'd always blame the fact that I took them off, regardless of whether they'd have made a difference!

could never get mine back on properly (making them last, at least).

I say rip them off and use a toffee wheel to get rid of the glue, its the easy way. If the paint comes off your screwed though like mine did :oops:

yeah i fuckedd them good and proper after i ripped them off 1st time it left the glue on then the paint came off with the glue,,, i had dings in the doors anyways so it was the only way, got my number plate surround done for free too :p thats why they didnt take it off lol

I removed mine last week, looks a lot better with them off, I used a hair drier to heat the adhesive and peel it off, any stubborn bits I removed with white spirits.

If you are thinking of taking the strips off you would be well advised to check all panels for signs of previous painting (mask lines at the window rubbers etc) or indeed mask lines at the rubbing strips, if you find signs beware that a respray after removing the strips my be needed.

The safest way to remove the strips to avoid removing paint would be to heat them and then remove by pushing upwards by placing your thumbs underneath the strip at one of the ends and pushing upwards, this should create a shearing action in the adhesive foam, it will leave more work in removing the remaining foam / adhesive but it will not put the excessive force on the paint that pulling the strip straight off would, thus minimising the risk of taking paint off along with the strip.