Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

ABS light on

daves16v, what have they done? There's only a few things that go wrong with them... :|

VAG-COM = Power supply fault, everything thoroughly tested by by Auto-elec, put down to a faulty ABS controller. Since the car has been garaged overnight I've had the light on and off intermittently. Has settled now to coming on, drive for a while, turn engine off, restart and the light goes out. Might be a bad connection on the ABS controller.

VAG-COM = Power supply fault, everything thoroughly tested by by Auto-elec, put down to a faulty ABS controller. Since the car has been garaged overnight I've had the light on and off intermittently. Has settled now to coming on, drive for a while, turn engine off, restart and the light goes out. Might be a bad connection on the ABS controller.

Strange you mention about a Power supply fault as mine got picked up on that when I had my original problem, but with the brake pedal travel sensor being replaced the mechanic seemed to disregard that error!

so how come the car would fail an MOT with no ABS? Plenty of cars don't have ABS

yeah...is there any difference in the brakes that would make them shite if the a.b.s wasnt working/connected?..or would the brakes just act as normal non-abs brakes?

YEAH..

so how come the car would fail an MOT with no ABS? Plenty of cars don't have ABS

If it was fitted to the car, it MUST work... however, you can remove it completely as not all Corrados came with ABS... ;)

corradowales, the brakes will be have a little less "feel" to them if you simply disconnect the ABS as the fluid still has to go through the pump and valves. It's pretty easy to actually delete the ABS entirely if you were feeling that way inclined... ;)

I imagine that they would act as normal non-ABS brakes.

It is a sterile argument though; if they are fitted and they don't work correctly, the car is deemed to be unroadworthy, with all that that entails. It's the same as seat belts - if they are there, they must be in full working order and must be used.

Sorry if this sounds prissy and bureaucratic, it's just how it is, however illogical...

Best wishes

RB

if the a.b.s was to be deleted...hypothetically speaking of course! ...would the pump be removed...or could it be left there but not in use?

especially if you have a dash like mine :wink:

bast ard that i bought the car off could have removed the pump at the same time as doing the dash though eh?

yeah...could have got one that matched though couldnt he?...bar steward.

so am i right in thinking that my pump is knakered hence the blanking plate...so i could remove the pump...and there would be no traces of there ever being abs there?

pretty much... if there's no pump, no wiring for a pump and no light, then you could probably argue that someone ordered the car without ABS... ;)