Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Which tyres for my 16" wheels ?

Hey all,

From MyTyres.co.uk I have got these tyres looked out, in the following sizes, which I have been advised are the best for fitting to a rado' with coilovers (8x16" front and 9x16" rear wheels)

Front: 195 45 R16

Rear: 205 40 R16

Just need to decide on which make / model to go for. I have the following choices:

Kumho Ecsta 712 (BOTH AVAILABLE)

Toyo Proxes T1-R (FRONTS AVAILABLE ONLY)

Continental Sport Contact (BOTH AVAILABLE)

Nankang NS2 (BOTH AVAILABLE)

Hankook Ventus K102 (BOTH AVAILABLE)

Any advice much appreciated,

Cheers.

I run with 205 45 16s on 7.5 inch rims... If you're gonna put them on 9" rims you're gonna be stretching those tyres something rotten which isn't a good idea if you're gonna drive the car... :|

Personally, I'd go with 205 45 on the front and 225 on the rears, but that's 'cos I hate overstretched tyres.... but then, I wouldn't try and fit 9" wheels on my car. :roll: :lol:

Yeah,

Was a bit concerned about the size / stretch of rear tyres but I probably wouldn't be using these wheels on a daily basis, just for shows etc, unless I reconsider sizes. Normal wheels will be 7.5 x 16" wheels all round fitted with 205 40 R16 tyres all round (already got these tyres / wheels fitted)

Cheers

I'm putting 245/45 x 16 on my 9's at the back, but then its not a C so I don't know what sort of clearance issues you'll have. I would say 205's on 8's are a bit stretched too but probably within spec of the tyres.

I'd go for the proxies personally, but others will have different views, my tyres had proxies in 245/45 16 when i last looked.

I´d go with 205/40 front and 215/40 rear. I´ve got 9x16 both front and rear with 215/40. I´ve got the Toyo Proxes T1-S and they are great, especially when it rains, don´t know how the T1-R model is however...

but of course having larger tyres on the rear is purely to make the car look good. The t1rs are very similar to the t1s but it is mainly in the wet that the t1s is even better.

I have found the toyos to be very good, lots of grip, better than the good years I had before, but I don't think they were particularly good ones.

Bridgestone Potenza RE720 's

I had Toyo's before on my 16v Corrado and the VR.

Great on the 16v, on the VR they were sh1te.

Think Kevhaywire recommended the Bridgestones to me.

Have Toyo's on my speedlines, they are decent but i don't think they last too long or maybe it was my heavy foot... :oops:

I dont rate Toyo's. There grip is okay but they dont last five minutes.

I've just ordered a full set of Goodyear F1 Eagles (195/50/15) from mytyres for £33 each! That cant be bad!

Hmm...interesting! I've just gone for my second set of Toyo T1-S for the front of my VR, as I have to say I've been very impressed. Maybe there are better tyres out there, but I'd hate to give another tyre a go, only to be disappointed and stuck with them for nearly a year...

Any old tyre is good in the dry, it's on wet tarmac that seperates the good tyres from the sh1t ones....and T1-s are sh1t in the wet.

The best wet weather tyres I've tried are F1s, Bridgestone RE720, Avon ZZ3, BF Goodrich Profiler G. I hear Dunlop SP9000 are great tyres too and Uniroyal's RainSport 1 is supposed to be THE best rain tyre, period, and is probably what I'll be trying next!

You're obviously not driving it hard enough :wink:

Same with everything, you always get good and bad reviews..... just stick to what you know and like.

I've never been so offended in my life! :)

Might try the Bridgestone RE720s when the Toyos wear out, only ever heard good things about them...

They're not made any more :(

I've got a dilema now as to what rubber to get for my speedos....tempted to try the Toyo T1-R, or the Uniroyals, SP9000s...decisions decisions..

Can you not still get Bridgestone RE720s on mytyres? I've heard the T1-Rs are meant to be better than the T1-S in the wet...

I think the Good Year Eagles are great - I've now got some new 17" inch wheels with Yoko A539's and they are rubbish both wet and dry compared to the Goodies.