Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Thoughts on Polo GTI's..?

Hi Guys..

Just a quickie (ooer) - have seen a few nice year 2000 Polo GTI's in my area and in my price range. Come well loaded and always quite liked the Polo's too.. nice 1.6 litre engine too so can't be that thirsty but should have plenty of go thanks to its size.

Any words / advice about these cars? Worth a look or worth avoiding like the plague?

my mates got a mk4...and hes got a mint g40 too....he REALLY rates the gti..the interior is great and it really is pretty nippy...not sure about the new one though?

Hm..

Well this is the type of Polo I am on about...

thats the one i think...mk4 yeah?....dropped with some nice oz turbos.....that would look lovely...and like i said..they are pretty rapid too..coming from a dude with a r1 g40!! :D

I would be very dissapointed in you if you sold a perfectly decent Corrado for a Polo! :D It's a girls car mate, and the engine is just the same 125bhp 1.6 unit the baseline MK4 Golf got....i.e nowt special.

Personally I'd prefer a Lupo GTI! They're nuts.... but again, not a very masculine machine.

engine is just the same 125bhp 1.6 unit the baseline MK4 Golf got....i.e nowt special

dunno what the top end is like but they are pretty nippy...not a beast...but pretty nippy!

would be very dissapointed in you if you sold a perfectly decent Corrado for a Polo!

yeah..but a golf ...or most cars seem like a bit of a drop from a corrado g40...especially the spec that jimsG60 was. But he wanted a change that was gonna save him money..thats the point eh?....and basically most cars that are economical are either boring....or girls cars like the polo or lup etc? its a tough decision buying a car after a 'c' ! :roll:

corrado g40

*cough* You're missing 20mm mate ;) :D

There's nowt wrong with Polos. Admittedly they're not the most masculine of cars, but for a cheap runaround that's not too uncomfortable then you can't go wrong...

whats 20mm here or there eh? :wink:

I bet you say that to all the girls :lol:

I test drove one, was a nice car but the clutch was ultra stiff.

Nice car though. I wouldnt say they were rapid by any means but they are not a slow car. depends what sort of power you are used to in a car

depends what sort of power you are used to in a car

exactly...so i expect whatever he buys isnt gonna be as quick or fun to drive as his 'c' cos he wants something economical. A polo doesnt seem a bad choice in particular.. whatever i get id rather it was v.a.g!

But he wanted a change that was gonna save him money..thats the point eh?....

I've been there and it doesn't work. You think by buying a 'lesser' car you are saving bundles, but you don't in the long run because a Polo/golf/Lupo will depreciate through the floor, whereas a Corrado will hold it's value to a greater extent.

And if you're doing the same daily routes, petrol consumption remains the same as no car is economical on the urban cycle, except a diesel.

I bought an old Cavalier to give me some financial respite from my MK2 16V Turbo...but the Cav actually used MORE fuel and I was bored sh1tless of it after 1 week.....then I bought a Corrado VR6....

And don't forget Jim has already sold a Corrado before, bought a Saxo, then bought a Corrado again....so.....I'm just trying to impress that getting rid of a perfectly good car for something that will be boring and economical by comparison may prove to be an unwise move in the long run.

And he'll remain on here so all these tasty Cs on display every day will be emotional torture for him!!

You know Uncle Haywire is right :D

yup, and we'll be rubbing it in everday. specially us who have pearl green G60's! hahaahaha!!!

You know Uncle Haywire is right

couldnt agree more....should never have sold it IMHO... the corrado is a REALLY hard act to follow... unless you buy a faster nicer corrado??

but still...if he REALLY doesnt want a 'c' then at least keep it vag....i mean a chavalier or a shitroen saxo is really not the way forward is it? :thumb right:

Last time I had to sell the Corrado out necessity.. ie.. I never had any money left after i'd paid all my Corrado bills.

This time I just wanted a change, and wanted to factor a bit of money saving into the equation. I still think the Corrado rocks but.. having had two, and having enjoyed them both, I think i'm over them for now :)

And yeah.. i'm specifically trying to stay in the VAG range!

Latest model Polo I've driven was a '99, the steering was as dead as dead can be. Never felt so disconnected from the road...

Maybe the later models were better?

After scaring myself poopless in my VR and getting a nice sensible Mk3 Golf GTI I'm already considering another Corrado.

Someone fancy making a brand new one for me so I don't have eternal replacement cycle to deal with :roll:

I think this is what it comes down to dinkus.

The Corrado is great because, really, as long as you keep on top of it you won't really lose any money on it as its done the majority of its depreciation.

Newer cars.. well.. they wont break as often but they'll depreciate more.

I've weighed up the pro's and con's and it just seems like i'd much rather have the money in my pocket every month and worry about how much the car has depreciated every month whenever it is I come to sell it. But with a relatively small loan over a reasonably short amount of time, it shouldn't leave me in negative equity and just levelling out is all I care about whenever it becomes time to sell up and move on. I'm not bothered about making a profit or anything. Paying a car loan is just something i'm used to doing.

Really, despite having 200BHP, I hope i'll be able to live with something with a lot less.. more horses only leads to driving like a twit, and whilst it is a hoot, i'm always expecting to PC Plod flying up behind me with lights blaring, or of course, ending up in a nasty smash! :(

Really, despite having 200BHP, I hope i'll be able to live with something with a lot less.. more horses only leads to driving like a twit, and whilst it is a hoot, i'm always expecting to PC Plod flying up behind me with lights blaring, or of course, ending up in a nasty smash! :(

I'll agree with you on that one.

And as you say it's just a case of how you lose the money. If it's new(ish) you lose it in depreciation, if it's old you lose it in replacing parts. Pays your money etc.

Buy the fecking Polo, you know you want to. I almost got one after my C, but I wanted something pretty cheap.

LOL - I haven't even been to go look at any cars yet. Still waiting for bloody Cahoot to advance me my money so I actually have some bargaining power :)

I'd need to do a size test as well.. I always felt a bit like that tall guy in that Simpsons episode when I had my Saxo... "This was the largest automobile I could afford at the time..." ;)

I'd need to do a size test as well.. I always felt a bit like that tall guy in that Simpsons episode when I had my Saxo... "This was the largest automobile I could afford at the time..." ;)

:lol: "ha ha"

I didn't notice him wearing a Burberry hat as well tho? ;)

Hey mate, I drive one most of the time as my sister has one on a W plate in sliver (to common in MK).. we've lowered it.. runs great, handles well & has all the creature comforts you'd need.. doesnt feel that fast but goes well for what it is..

I'd look for one with leather as they are rare & would probably hold it value more???

:lol: "ha ha"

I didn't notice him wearing a Burberry hat as well tho? ;)

I own no baseball caps, nor anything trimmed in burberry thanks wingus! :D

Heh heh fair 'nuff.

Mind you, I can hardly talk, I had a Corsa :?

CHAV!!!

Sorry ;) :)