Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Well I just bought a Golf...

Bushes/suspension should be fine at 100k with motorway use. If it was belting down country lanes all day, yes, I'd expect it to need some work.. But you'd be able to tell that sort of stuff pretty quickly just by how tight the car feels.

whats to stop the seller lieing about the amount of motorway miles, u cant really proove it very easily.

in this world people are all skum until prooved otherwise so i would take comments like that with a pinch of salt.

Yeah but I think someone buying a diesel would be conscious that they are going to be doing a lot of miles. I would imagine it probably has done most of its miles on the motorway - it's not as if it's an Evo or something that you wouldn't buy if you're going to do a lot of miles.

in this world people are all skum until prooved otherwis

thats pretty bitter for 18! :shock:

i agree there, and you can usually tell from the hands on with someone if they are lieing bastards or not, if you're a decent judge of character.

the problem is you are already obliged to buy this car having bid on it on ebay! so if you go there even with a mate and its a dog you're gonn aget shitty feedback.

when i buy cars on ebay i dont bid on it on the auction, i do it all over phone / email and viewing incase something goes pete tong :)

i do it all over phone / email and viewing incase something goes pete tong

thats how ive done it in the past....but i wouldnt let a bad feeback remark bully me into a 6k purchase....im sure ifjimsG60, isnt happy with the car he wont hand over the dollar

in this world people are all skum until prooved otherwis

thats pretty bitter for 18! :shock:

i once got the wool pulled over my eyes when buying a car when i was younger - wont let that happen again, it kind of tainted my view of private sales, i was a little bit naive back in those days.

Been to see it and very pleased. Guy seems genuine enough!

There are one or two small scratches on top of the rear bumper (from careless people with bags) and on the rear passenger side quarter which will polish out - apart from that the paint is pretty immaculate. Full MOT, serviced last week (Full VWSH), cambelt done on time @ 70k, interior needs a wee clean but is pretty unblemished and totally squeak / knock free, performance seems good (as did the economy - over 60MPG!). Aircon, in dash CD and 6CD changer in boot.. even has a nearly full tank of go juice. Saw the old MOT's and it must have been motorway mileage as PO was doing 30k a year!

I went with my old man and he was very happy with it too so.. think this might have worked out ok. Left deposit and going back to pick it up next week.

cool, good choice jim. i'm doing 400+ miles a week at the mo, so considering diesel. 6k is out of my price range but with fuel savings something similar could be achieveable.

Will look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

interior needs a wee clean

i wouldn't p1ss on the seats mate :)

glad to hear its turned out a goodun......hope you enjoy it dude

It looks like it might time for a name change, yeah! Damnit.. this is the 3rd change. I think I might leave it at jimsg60 for a little while, till i'm really ready to let it go!

Either that or just be Jim, so that it doesn't matter HOW often I change cars.

Been to pick it up! Interesting drive back :D

Initial thoughts:

* Comfy and so quiet on the road!

* Engine is amazingly eager!

* Handling is laughable.. worse than my old mans merc estate!! :D

Can't wait to get some miles on it.. and will get it cleaned / polished in a few days when the weather improves and get some pics :)

Hmm, yeah. Handling on Mk4s was ALWAYS a bit suspect.... Get some decent suspension setup (My vote's with Konis ;) )

I'd consider one of these actually, might be changing jobs soon and will need a commuter car instead of moutain bike, still want to hang on to the VR6 through.

Although my mate picked up a 95k mile 110TDi Bora for about £4 grand, he's spent another £350 on a re-chip and it's pretty good.

I don't know if the Bora suspension set up is different to the Golf, but I had a good trash round in the Bora and had no real complaints at all.

Cheers

Ady

It looks like it might time for a name change, yeah! Damnit.. this is the 3rd change. I think I might leave it at jimsg60 for a little while, till i'm really ready to let it go!

I vote for "jimsCAR". No more changes, no more hassle ... :)

(And yes, I think the Bora always got better write-ups than the Golf for suspension - plus they're better value.)

Bora Deffo better handler than the golf....more weight over the ar5e end!

Better built too, according to all the write ups!

Also I was always told saloons were better for ICE installs as the boot acts like a base box.

Even with only a pair of 6 x 9s in the small parcel shelf of a Cav SRi Mk 3 saloon I used to have, the base was really good.

I vote for "jimsCAR". No more changes, no more hassle ... :)

You can just see him buying a caddy then can't you! :roll:

Don't think i'll be needing to upgrade the stereo tbh! I'm not a huge audiophile.. just like it sound good. Standard stereo install really impressed me actually! Been out driving some more this evening and, well, i'm impressed.. seriously! So many little nice touches, the build is really good and it goes really really well. Even the the gearbox has a quite nice short throw to it.

And as you can see, i've just gone for 'Jim' - no more faffing around!

Like it Jim, I'll keep an eye out for this one - although it's not as distinctive as the Rado.........yet! :wink:

Don't expect big things.. the most that will ever happen to this will be a set of aftermarket wheels. Really fancy some BBS CH's ;) :D