Sign in to follow this  
fla

resistors for clock leds

I'm just redoing the clock on my 94 VR replacing the single blue leds with a strip with 3 leds per clock. They're all 5v leds which require a current limiting resistor to bring the current down to about 20mA. Normally you would need one resistor per diode but is it feasible to just put one on the feed to the circuit board strip and then solder the leds in normally? My assumption is that they would still all be drawing 20mA and would operate okay. The other option is of course to put resisitrs in front of each, which i dont really want to do as its a lot more fiddly. Thanks guys. BTW, hope everyone is having a good Bank Holiday weekend.

http://www.ultraleds.com/

Try these mate, they should be able to offer the advice you need.

On the subject of LEDs, Ive just bought a new C, but wont be getting it for a few weeks, and Im going to look into changing the internal LEDs to either Red or Blue. Do you know the sizes?

Thanks

Stan

Use 3mm LEDs, standard voltage for the electric window/sunroof switches, 12V for the dash switches. Keep the existing bulbs for the instrument panel illumination and get some red lighting gel sheet to replace the existing green filter, and whatever colour gel you like for the LCD screens. Peasylicious!

Just gotta finish mine before Inters now! My excuse is that I have two extra doors to do...

Cheers Mate :-) Do you know how many of each I need? So I can get them ordered before I get the car.

You got any pics of yours?

Oh yeah, are there any details of inters on here? I havent been around for ages.

http://www.gtiinternational.co.uk

12V 3mm red LEds - CJ70 @ Maplins

1.87V 3mm red LEDs - WL32 @ Maplins

Bout 12/16p each, get about ten of each, shorter leg is -ve, longer is +ve. Pop to a scrappy for a red cigarette lighter out of a Seat Ibiza/Toledo/Cordoba, or one of the newer VWs. Any good arts&crafts shop should sell coloured plastic sheeting, or try a local theatre for some spare gel sheets if they have any.

Edit: Also, you'll need to grab a heater panel off the Seat too, for the red spider for the heater controls, and the red plastic heater knob inserts. Remove the green plastic section in the centre of the Corrado heater control panel trim, and use a red-painted bulb in the centre knob if necessary.

Think that's covered everything! :lol:

B*LL*CKS!!!!!

Not going to be able to make inters, gutted :-(

Have a good one though guys :-(

Try these mate, they should be able to offer the advice you need.

On the subject of LEDs, Ive just bought a new C, but wont be getting it for a few weeks, and Im going to look into changing the internal LEDs to either Red or Blue. Do you know the sizes?

stanbates, those are the ones I already have, but cheers anywy. he's a helpful chap (Rob IIRC). Anyway coming back to the issue, would I need resistors per led or just one one the main feed?

Not sure. The reason I mentioned ultraleds is cos theyre helpful, and he should be able to point you in the right direction,