Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

noisey tappets vr6

just completed renewing timing chains, guides and tensioners

head sent off for skimming renewed clutch

everything ok but now have noisey tappets

could the head being taken off and sent to get skimmed contributed to this?

are they worth changing or is it worth bothering about

any ideas?

I'd definately change them, I didn't when I had the head off my old Golf and regretted the slightly noisy tappets forever afterwards. Not that expensive from GSF.

I've read that some people have found that the GSF ones sometimes don't last too long, and end up being just as noisy (or noisier) fairly quickly.

I'm on my second set of GSF tappets and am not entirely happy, either. VW ones are around twice the price though.

When I was rebuilding the engine in my vento I didn't replace the tappets and they are slightly noisy for a few seconds from cold, bit annoying but I'm not stripping it back to do them now!

in the peter russek book, theres a procedure to test the tappets - most times this procedure seems to resolve any tapping - if not they need replacing.

From memory, you warm up the engine and sit at 3500rpm for 3 minutes - strangely this has resolved most tappet noise problems i've had.

In other words drive at 80mph for 3 minutes? I cant see why doing that in neutral would be any different? It would be embarrasing aswell!

OK, tappets from VW are £17.33 + VAT each, bringing the total to £244.35 inclusive for 12 of the buggers.

I can get them for £195 all in, but I still ain't paying that just to see if it 'might' resolve the tapping!

I wonder if they'd be cheaper from Ford?

Hi,

When you had the head skimmed, did it get "cleaned" properly afterwards. If not, the the small arteries may have become blocked with small "bits" or the bits are now in the small feeds in the tappets themselves. Fitting new tappets may only last a while if the oil feeds are not clean.

The other thing to check is oil pressure. 2 bar (30psi) at idle and 4 bar (60psi) at 2,500 rpm plus as a guide with the engine warmed up based on 15w40 oil.

May be be worth just using flushing oil to see if it will free up the tappets. If not and oil pressure is OK, then you know it's a tappet replacement job.

In other words drive at 80mph for 3 minutes? I cant see why doing that in neutral would be any different? It would be embarrasing aswell!

OK, tappets from VW are £17.33 + VAT each, bringing the total to £244.35 inclusive for 12 of the buggers.

I can get them for £195 all in, but I still ain't paying that just to see if it 'might' resolve the tapping!

I wonder if they'd be cheaper from Ford?

As previously stated - i've found it works - can't get up to 80mph in my backlane after i've serviced the car so i'll stick to my method, Kev, rather thatn your 80mph suggestion :wink: