Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

wishbone mission

Hopefully my corrado will be going in for its mot some time soon and seems to have a clunking noise when going over bumps on the passenger side, which i have checked and it turns out to be rear wishbone bush that is coming out. Anway thought that i could swap it with a new wishbone with bushes already in but realised that prevoius owner has left a locking nut on the front and never gave me the key :roll: . Is there anyway i can drop the track rod end then change the wishbone without having to take the wheel off, i doubt it but you never know. The car is on coilovers so the angle of the wishbones aint gonna help. Anybody recommend a good tool to remove the locking nut its not a crappy one that you can bang a socket onto. :(

You should be able to get the correct tool online somewhere I'd have thought. A quick google will no doubt help. You probably can change the wishbone without taking the wheel off but i'd be more work than it needs to be. You'll have to get the lockign wheel nut off at some point anyway.

I took my car for some new tyres a while ago and forgot the lock key :oops: but the guy at the garage just said he’s got one that will fit, so you might want to take it to your local tyre place.

I heard that Halfords do a locking wheel nut removal key for about £10......Its a bit worrying that anyone can just buy one to nick your wheels :(

All that taking the wheel off gives you is some extra room.

The 3 bolts that hold the bottom balljoint on to the wishbone are still accessible, so the only real problem is likely to be that they will have seized (along with the bolts holding the wishbone on to the subframe...)

changed the wishbone the way you suggested mike on my polo this week but getting the wishbone back in was difficult as the it needs to be horizontal to slide into the sub frame and the strut needs to be loosened to give enough space to pull the hub away from the wishbone,. I'll give halfrauds a try and see what this universal locking nut remover can do.

thats very very worrying, £10 for a universal kit?? time to invest in a second set of locking nuts I think, are mcgard still considered the best?

i have mcguard on the corrado not the ones i wants toi remove thank god and they are very good highly recommended. I'll get a pic of the ones i need to take off, someone might know what make they are.

i have the kit from halfords and i know where you all live!!!! ha ha only kidding. its made by laser and it will get them all off very quickly indeed mc guard the lot imo it has rendered all locking wheel nuts useless!!

my local halfords didn't have the locking nut remover so out came the socket and hammer and off they came, should makw the job a bit easier now. I might drop in some new top mounts as i'm sure they are on the way out, can i fit vr ones i have coilovers on my car its a h reg valver, thanks