Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Broken Engine Mount!?

Cr*p day at work, got home about 2 hours ago to realise I left my garage keys in my desk. Wife went mental cuz she wanted the extension lead to mow the lawn tommorrow or something, was listenning!

Slammed the door to return to work and performed a traction control defying i'm not happy off the drive, and heard a sound I can only describe as an expensive feeling clonk!

Just been nosing with the torch and i think there is something missing from the engine mount!? Is there a bolt on the top, as I can't see one anymore, and the bracket is not in line with the engine mount? The bracket looks intact, so i presume i have sheerd the head of a bolt that holds the 2 together?

Is this common, or am I special? Is it expensive!? fecking day of days!

Sh*t, didnt even look i was so wound up. Nope, doesnt look like it, but its hard to see as the car is still filthy from the inters, and my pir lights packed up out the front. How much are the vibra mounts then? I thought there was a lot of play in the original, praps why it went, plus the right foot (my mechanical sympathy varies with mood!) Best mail order from stealth i presume??

Had same thing on mine Nick, bolt sheered off after an enthusiastic take off. Except dented my feckin bonnet. Replaced the bolt for the time being, looking at getting either a high tensile one or jsut upgrade the mount all together.

You accelerated hard off the drive? You're only likely to break the front engine mount if you do so in forward gear..

The expensive bit of a broken front engine mount is the damage it usually does to the bonnet when the engine hits it, or even the damage it does to the exhaust downpipes.

I was in first, i had reversed onto the drive. I think it broke just as i backed off, all in split seconds but i kind of hesitated. I can see its obviously pressed hard on the foam but it does not appear to have dented the bonnet. Sounds like i have been very very lucky! The drivers side bonnet catch bit was not locked down, so i think that may have saved the day as id been fitting plug leads in lunch hour at work and ob didnt shut it completely! so that could have been worse too!!

I am trying to source a vib mount now but struggling to get one delivered for the weekend..

(Please don't all jump at once and start yet another VW vs VT debate, but if you can't get the £130 VT mount by the weekend, why not fit another £50 VW mount - if the old one lasted 11 years ...)

Well you've just instigated a debate by saying that, haven't you?? :roll:

How do you know the original lasted 11 years? It might have been replaced a few years ago.

Nick, get a VT one if you can as it's much stronger but if not I can get a standard one to you by the weekend if you let me know in good enough time.

oh dear, looks like im causing trouble again!

Cheers Kev/Matt, will update you later today. Glad it rained at the interes or this would have happened on the 1/4 mile rather than on my drive!

Think im going to fit a new fuel pump aswell as its getting really noisey now, i can here the bearing grumbling as well as the wine. Seems everything is going at once on mine! The list is growing of want toos and must doos.............

Yeah the VR has a habit of throwing a number of issues your way at once...it's just old age mate.

Defo do the pump as you don't want that quitting on you and leaving you stranded. Have you joined the AA? LOL!

Well you've just instigated a debate by saying that, haven't you?? :roll:

Um, no. I pointed out an option. I didn't ask for an debate, in fact I explicitly asked for no debate.

That's too much to ask though, it seems.

G60dub, sent you a pm but i guess its a no go then?

Sorry should have mentioned its a vr, thanks supercharged.

16vg60's is a a nice peice of kit for £75 delivered fitted mine yesterday in about an hour.

the engine barely moves at all i'd reccomend a jmr one, a vt is probably better but a little pricey imo.

Cheers 2cc. To you see in the stupid things you've done thread how I inadvertantly got her back at the weekend!??

Making up for my harsh words, spanked her vento vr all day, polished everything. finishing touch, grabbed a can of back to black to do the big plastic sill strips. Did one side, thought it smelt funny and realised id sprayed the sills and the bottoms of her doors with a can of clear cellulose lacquer........my statement stands, but from her now i think!

enginemount.jpg

This is what i did last time my mount broke! :lol:

I know it aint prety but it does as good of a job as a VT and it cost me half hr of my free time!

Sweet motor Sambo, first time of seen it on here mate. I have no welder though, and if i did i'd be dangerous! Looks like an easy upgrade route though. Trying to think who i know!

Am pretty much set on the vt, but i have about 5 things varying between £120 and £400 each that i really need to do and everything im doing for the next 3-4 months is all gona be on the old credit card, so i am going to have to be sensible at some point..............mmm

Nick,

Not only will the VT one potentially last a lot longer (though without wanting to add fuel to any fire- has anyone actually run a VT mount for ten years yet? they might be weaker than the standard mounts :twisted: ) but it will also make ur car feel so much better- gearchange, handling and clutch action are transformed when u lock the big six potter down properly- I got the hardest 'racing' insert for my VT mount and am chuffed to bits with it.

Cheers

Ordered from tsr yesterday and it arrived today - brilliant service

probably fit it sunday and i'll let you know how it goes