Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Broken Engine Mount!?

I got the hardest 'racing' insert for my VT mount and am chuffed to bits with it.

Did ya? Nutter! What's it like as I've just got the regular 'fast road' insert in mine, which seems up to the job. I've got the rear VT aswell though.

On the lifespan, mine's been on 2 years and still going strong 8)

Yes I was just playing devils advocate on the lifespan :wink:

The mount is great- I noticed it most when you rag it in first- the engine used to bounce all over the shop- almost to the point where I wasn't even sure sometimes whether any power was getting to the road at all :? Now its just rock solid.

Another not unpleasant side effect is a strange harmonic when you come off the power in gear in 1st or second and you get a high pitch turbine like noise as the cars slows - sounds great as you slow down for lights etc

Saying that the car is no longer a daily driver and I really want to start tracking it soon- after i get through the 'to-do'list as long as my arm (pads, braided hoses, 5.1 fluid, new axle bushes, wishbones etc etc) hopefully I might even get the chance to justify having the racing insert soon :D

Tracking a Storm? Brave man!

I never give my engine death in 1st but I know what you mean, you can actually pull off a smooth change to second with the VT!

Where I notice the VTs the most is in the handling - my favourite aspect of the Corrado - go hard into a 2nd or 3rd gear corner with the normal mounts and you'll feel the engine shunt over to the loaded wheel and upset the car's balance.....but with the VTs, it just darts round the bend.

Looking forward to going FULL throttle round some bends when Stealth have done my Quaife :D The Quaife can't give you MORE grip, but it let's you do more with the maximum grip the chassis and tyres will allow though :wink:

GB on Quaifes anyone?

I would say to anyone without a VT mount, get one, when my standard mount went on my previous vr6, i ruined the bonnet, the engine mount bracket and the oil coiler.

The car also drove so much better after the VT was fitted.

Not only will the VT one potentially last a lot longer (though without wanting to add fuel to any fire- has anyone actually run a VT mount for ten years yet?)

Heh heh - I recall Jim saying he had to have a replacement insert after 4 years (I think?) on his VT front mount in the G60.

I appreciate the improvement though, compared to my 8-year old OE mount the car DOES feel better to drive with the shiny new VT mount. How much of that is down to the shiny newness I will never know!

My car will probably be up for sale soon and if i dont get money i want for it, i will heavily modify it for track use

Thats when my welder is coming out again and will turn all mounts into solid ones! :norty:

All those vibrations will be my excuse of completely striping it out!

Heh heh - I recall Jim saying he had to have a replacement insert after 4 years (I think?) on his VT front mount in the G60.

The G60 mount is completely different to the VR6 one and £40 every 4 years is not bad going if you ask me.

But it's the same with all components, drive like an idiot and things break/wear out quicker than normal.

Tracking a Storm? Brave man!

I didn't mean like stripping it out or anything like that- I just get the feeling that you would need a few track sessions to get a feel for just how far you can push a VR- plus I want to do the Nurburgring this summer and am looking to video it- & I wanna put in a decent lap so I can post it up :wink:

at the moment i'm thinking - what the hell have i done !! £150 for a piece of concrete with a bolt sticking out of the top

i hope i change my mind when i fit it