Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob1970

Big VR6 service bill...

Picked up my 'new' VR this morning after having various things sorted out on it.

The garage had had it almost 5 weeks!!

The bill was so high, that I part-exed my 16v against the bill!!!

I walked away with £125 of the garage owners' money, and left him my 1991 16v.

:roll:

Suspension bushes, axel bushes, top mounts, wishbones, gearbox mount,

disks+hoses+pads all round, and all the regular service stuff like all the filters, fluids, plugs etc.

Yes amigo,

£1124.96

(buries head in hands and crys at his desk.....)

I've had quite a few bills like that (and larger) from Stealth over the years :oops:

Blue_Joe,

Not really matey, no.

But, seeing as they had had the car so long, I guessed at the end that it was going to be a big one.

They sheared a bolt in the sub-frame trying to remove one of the wishbones, and they had to cut it out with a torch. That took them hours apparently.

dinkus,

It was great this morning on my way in to work.

I give it a bootfull, up a steep hill, around a sharp corner, and I accelerated around the outside of a Focus ST170 and left him for dead.

It was fun!

8)

Blue_Joe,

They sheared a bolt in the sub-frame trying to remove one of the wishbones, and they had to cut it out with a torch. That took them hours apparently.

I hate having to pay for things like that. Two schools of thought on it though -

1. - YOU sheared it, YOU fix it buddy.

2. - "Well, it would've sheared if you did it too... "

Very difficult to call as you'd never see the state of the bolt before they started attacking it, by the same token you'd never see the steps they'd take to get it out. Grinder/torch/voodoo etc..

similar thing happened to me with the subframe, they were fitting the coilovers and damaged the subframe , i had to wait a few days while they shipped a new one from germany :-) at their cost

Supercharged,

No, I didn't know how much it was going to be... I was just bracing myself for a shafting..... so to speak.

:shock:

Blue_Joe,

I hate having to pay for things like that. Two schools of thought on it though -

1. - YOU sheared it, YOU fix it buddy.

2. - "Well, it would've sheared if you did it too... "

Very difficult to call as you'd never see the state of the bolt before they started attacking it, by the same token you'd never see the steps they'd take to get it out. Grinder/torch/voodoo etc..

Its fairly common for the bolt that holds the passenger side wishbone on to the subframe to shear on the vr/mk3 golf setup. I was warned about it before I got the front bushes done so that I would be prepared for the bill if it did shear. I spent the 2 days before it was booked in going over the bolts with wd40 every so often and it came undone easily.

Joe M,

Well, they are done now, so I won't have to worry about it again thankfully.

All it needs now is new chains, tensioners, guides, clutch, a Schrick, AMD throttle body, re-map and rolling road session at Stealth.

But I now have no more spare cars knocking about to trade-in for the bills......

You've pretty much listed my must haves in the future there too.

VR's are worth the bills, not sure i'll still be saying that if mine carries on like it is for long, but hey.

Nice choice of bike too buddy, 9R, hhmmmm, you nutter!