Sign in to follow this  
RACK

VR6 or BMW 328i

Seen as my younger bro has come round to the idea of not spunking all his money on a TT, he's been looking at a BMW 328i (e36) for about £6000.

I'm trying to get him to look for a nice VR6 as he should be able to get a well decent one for that kind of money.

What does anyone else reckon??

Cheers

RACK

rado all the way, unless he wants the stigma of being a cunt for the length he owns the beemer. plus all bm's look the fucking same.

Hm.. tough call..

But this is a Corrado forum so the answers are likely to be a tad bit biased. Only let him buy a VR6 if you think he's gonna look after it though ;)

rado all the way, unless he wants the stigma of being a cunt for the length he owns the beemer. plus all bm's look the **** same.

swear filter anyone?!?

This isn't gonna be the best place to find someone saying go for the beemer though!

swear filter anyone?!?

Special exception in the filter rules for BMW drivers :lol:

I've now set the C-word to change into the other 'C' word... ;)

I had a 323i coupe, new in March 1998. They are totally and utterly sh1t. Over rated ponce-wagons.

If I wasnt holding back I'd really tell you how bad they are.

Surely the Cnuts are in the Corrado? ;)

I used to have an E36 318is before I sold it :cry: and apart from it being underpowered and over tyred it was brilliant...and no irritating squeaks either :D

I like that - I like BMs too, I dont understand where all the hatred comes from? the 328 when you look at it is a proper drivers setup - its not the green eyed monster is it?

I'd have an e36 M3 (if our lass would allow me to have yet another car lol)

328i is very quick - I know someone who has one. Acceleration similar to the VR6, but I havent gone head to head with him to see how they'd perform off the lights

I drove mates 328 E36 cabbie, didnt feel that quick.. Im a BM fan but the Corrado's does it better!

clio 182 will keep up with a 328. sorry for the urm language ;) just worked at bmw for a year and got to know a few owners (total cnuts) probably a massive over generalisation but hey.

bm's are definately overrated though. m3's are a different kettle of fish though specially the old e30 if you can get used to lhd

Hmm.. Is the 328i different to the 328i Sport? Thats what my mate has. Power figures similar to the VR6, 190bhp or there abouts, 0-60 in 6 and a bit secs

I'll have to give my mate a race and report back :wink:

If you bro tests a VR6 first and then the BMW....he might go for the BMW on the strength of the 328i being torquier (low down), smoother and more eager off the clutch. The VR is not so smooth and needs more revs off idle to get it moving.

On the move though, your bro's affection will (or should) turn to the VR6 because the E36 is incredibly dull to drive. The steering is over assisted and completely lifeless and has too many turns lock-to-lock....and it has absolutely no feedback. The VR6 is 10 times more chatty.

I think the 328is (sport) has an LSD but it's a slipper clutch LSD (about 30% lock IIRC) and they can wear out, but they make cornering more fun, especially in the wet.

Handling wise, the VR wins....it just inspires a lot more confidence when hustled quickly through bends.

BMW servicing is expensive and you're forever looking at that annoying service light.....(which can be reset out of the dealer with a cheap tool)....

Nah....had my fill of Beemers, don't really rate them and it's not a jealousy thing. I just genuinely think they are over rated by people in the UK, it's just a badge snobbery thing. Sure the M cars are capable and insanely quick, but you pay dearly for it and they're nothing like the debadged 318is you see driven by toss pots.

And remember, in Europe, BMWs are nothing more than taxis and police cars. It's only over here that they're seen as the epitimty of motoring excellence.

just the humble opinion of the village idiot....but i would rather walk than have a beemer.....i'm not saying they havent got the power....especailly top end...they seem to always be the ones up ur ass at 100mph on european roads..... i just HATE the look and image that they give off......and theyre not all that when it comes to interiors....really poor in the ones ive seen.

Now that the Bimmers have been 'Bangelised', fewer people are buying them as they're fugly....

This image BMWs have.....I've only ever detected it in the UK. In europe, drivers are in a completely different class anyway but for some reason, Brits seem to give off an arrogance when driving an prestige German car, whether it's their own car or their company's.....even in the bottom of the range ones :roll:

I'd definitely rather shove hornets up my chuff than own a 318i, but I'd cut my right thing off to own an M3.....

i'd rather cut my own thing off...then shove it up a hornets chuff than own ANY beemer....

EDIT---- yes it would fit......

I want him to get a nice VR6, the up-keep won't be too much as the bloke who does the work on our cars is a Head Technician at a VW stealers.

I'm gonna get him to test drive both, no doubt the VR6 will turn him. I drove my cousins Golf VR6 and the engine note at WOT is awesome!!

BMWs: I've never owned one, but I do get the impression that they're thoroughly engineered, in a much more systematic way than cars like the Corrado was. But then, that's always the same with high volume vs. low voume cars..

I'd always considered a used 328i to be a viable alternative to the C, in terms of purchase cost and potential performance, but never test drove one so can't really say for sure.

Much of the argument for/against the handling comes down to the old FWD vs RWD discussion, which is inevitable I suppose..