Sign in to follow this  
vr6 t

2.1 16v turbo

Hi guys i am after some advice i have just completed a 2.1 16v turbo using T3/T4 garret with low comp 9.0:1. wiseco pistons with a 6 speed quife close ratio gear box and quife diff hp approx 250+ my question is this if i put in a corrado fwd will it grip the tarmac or will i just sit spining her up any advice please

it will grip, but the level of grip depends on a few things,

1 do you have an lsd in the box, i presume you do?

2 what ems are you using?

if its spinning too much you can always get race logic traction control.....

what sort of specs are the engine?

im sure theres some one on here running a 1.8t with a lot more bhp running through the front wheels,so you should be ok

I've heard of lots of people running 250+ bhp on Corrados without excessive traction problems - particular with an LSD it should be most controllable. Don't forget there's a lot of weight on those front wheels, and even standard VR6s were designed with 190+ bhp in mind.

Cue Mr Haywire... I think Kev had a MK2 once upon a time with something similar in it, he's probably yer best bet for the ins and outs.

The ecu is exp48 dta and a quife lsd the engine spec is abf tall block with fast rd cams port and polished head lightend and balanced the engine was purchased 3 years ago from tsr producing 192 bhp, how much is the race logic traction control

with that setup its gonna be fine, you will have nice wheel spin when you want it

racelogic would be a nice add on at a later date

J-Dub was running power somewhere around there with a Quaife LSD and, although it was relatively easy to spin both front wheels if you wanted to, if you drove it properly/learnt how to drive it there wasn't a problem... 8)

Ah, cheers, I've been thinking about those for a while....but ouch....£525!

On the Quaife, they're good, very good but if your damping is too soft, both front wheels will bounce up and down as they fight for grip and if the damping is too hard, both wheels will spin and the car will squirm sideways slightly....but the Quaife never locks totally, so it'll never through you completely off course.

I've run 250 bhp in a MK2 Golf with an OPEN diff no problem. Sure I could have done more with the power with a Quaife but tbh, you only really need the quaife for mega sharp turns where the car would normally spin and inside wheel...and for full bore standing starts....in the wet :D

Some people harp on about 200bhp being the limit for FWD but the only limit is the driver, not the car.

it will work in a fashion.

all it means is that it wont be much quicker than a car with less horses.

the extra power just gets spun away. I saw a cracking example of this at the VW Audi croft trackday. a ihi seat ibiza cupra with 350 bhp, just could not put the power down at all, you could hear it spinning the wheels on about 3-4 seperate occasions on the same corner as he tried to put the power down then had to back off then tried again then had to back off etc.

Point it in a straight line and it was like a bullet though!

Out of intrest what comprestion ratio is the g60 engine and even if i am using the 6 speed close ratio box it still won't spin up only because i have spoken to a few tuning companys they still say i will have problems putting power down because of the gear box ARGHHH