Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

Thought the very same when i had a look at mine, it a lot of weight straining on the centre section, my centre section started blowing yesterday from the joint so looks nows as good a time as any to get a stainless system, think im gonna go for magnex, had em before and was very happy with them. will let u know how it goes

If you manage to source a magnex, let me know where from as i'd quite like one but they went bust a while back so you'll be very lucky to find one!

I read on a different thread that apparently they are getting up and running again, but when is the question!

So i just found out, couldn't find a magnex so jetex for me,should be here tomorrow or thursday will let you all know what i think

i'd be very interested to see some photos of said Jetex system

on the verge of ordering an exhaust

Will post some pics for ya when i get it! It got delivered to my old man's in birmingham not to me in plymouth, they must have used the billing address and not the delivery address :censored: as my card is still registered at my dads. Lucky i'm goin up the tues anyway but i just hope my exhaust last the 200miles to get me there!!!

Keep us updated about which one you end up choosing......

I eventually went with the Supersprint in the end. It generally seems very high quality, and the exhaust tip nicely suits the cut out in the bumper; much better than the OEM one anyway. Unfortunately Supersprint no longer manufacture or stock the pipe from the cat to the centre exhaust (part number 323612), but it's quite easy to fabricate a replacement as it's just a pipe:

The dimensions that are required are 55mm internal diameter, 60mm external diameter and 650mm long (though this isn't critical). The best I could find was a bit of stainless 60/56mm, so I had to use a little bit of shim to get a snug fit to the cat (whose output is a straight pipe of 55mm external diameter). A couple of slits are needed in the pipe on this end to allow for clamping, obviously.

In terms of noise it's a little bit louder than OEM at idle, but not offensively. It makes subtle but pleasant sounding popping noises when you come off the throttle. It's probably all in my head, but I could swear the throttle responds a bit faster now too.

have had the jetex cat back system on for a couple of weeks now and love it, subtle on idle buts nice when u open it up, it also pops and burbles a bit on overrun :D will get some pics of the system soon

mart

I have a magnex back box and love it sounds and looks great, But a tiny bit quiet.

How much louder would it be if I had one of the silencers boxes remove?

I dont want it to be too loud just a bit more than it is.

i'd be very interested to see some photos of said Jetex system

on the verge of ordering an exhaust

Magnex on the left, Jetex on the right. Both are well made, but the Magnex has the edge. Little things like the hangers have a end stop to prevent the rubber sliding off, and the silencer seams are welded rather than crimped- although I'm not sure that is necessarily better..

The Magnex is a smaller bore, and has a more restrictive flow path by the looks of it, although the Jetex does have a nasty dimple where it goes over the rear beam.

Looking at getting the Jetex system but does anyone have any views on the 2 Vs 3 box system? Noise, restriction on flow / engine output, that kind of thing?

Not sure on the difference between 2 n 3 box system performance wise bute i have the 2 box jetex and i thought it might be a bit louder than i wanted buts it still fairly quite until u boot it into the high revs but still has a nice tone to it and doesn't sounds to chavvy at all, will get the pics of it off my other comp later and post them up

Finally sorted the pics off my other comp so here ya go :)

SDC10312.jpg

SDC10328.jpg

SDC10329.jpg

SDC10330.jpg

SDC10374.jpg

SDC10380.jpg

Not the best pic of it fitted but will try and gets some shots next time im down at my mates and can put it up on their ramp

cheers

Mart

Without having to read all 30 pages, what would people say is the best system to get for my 2.0 16v? Something with a cat bypass, or just binning it all together as well please. :)

Without having to read all 30 pages, what would people say is the best system to get for my 2.0 16v? Something with a cat bypass, or just binning it all together as well please. :)

if it helps you i have a jetex 3 box stainless cat-back. it's nicely made and loud enough (not much more than standard, but mine was full of holes). in hein sight i wish at the same time i'd ditched the cat and gone for a bypass pipe as well but that can come later.

Just got a powerflow exhaust fitted and tbh i hate it. Its far too loud for my liking but it was a case of needed something straight away. Anyway have noticed that the joint between the cat and 1st box has started to blow when its cold so was going to re-do the joint but looked on the net first and found this..

It is worth noting that stainless steel gets hotter quicker than mild steel and also expands noticeably when hot. This means that after a bit of use stainless exhaust joints work loose so when cold the exhaust clatters and rattles. It is only once warm that the metal expands and the joints tighten that everything quietens down. This is particularly common on VWs as the sections tend to be joined with compression clamps rather than bolted unions.

I found this on another site so before i drop the exhaust and re-do the joint is this true and would i be wasting my time?

please feel free to take the piss.. :clap: I am looking for a stainless exhaust system for my 1990 1.8 (16v) 'rado. I have found a jetex system at what seems a good price that will apparently fit my model. http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3744514 can somebody tell me will this fit with no alterations or messing about (direct fit kinda thing)? If not can you reccomend a system that will please(if one exists). sorry i know very little about cars this is the first one iv ever attempted to improve/modify.

Just fitted a Scorpion Cat back system with a JabbaSport decat pipe on my 9a valver and I have to say I'm impressed.

Nice and quite, exhaust note becomes audible when you are up the revs, couldn't want any more A1 perfect.

Just fitted a Scorpion Cat back system with a JabbaSport decat pipe on my 9a valver and I have to say I'm impressed.

Nice and quite, exhaust note becomes audible when you are up the revs, couldn't want any more A1 perfect.

one of these systems is on its way to me now, I'll report back once fitted.

Well that's it for KR suitcases. I just bought the last one (allegedly). Stupidly expensive but I decided to stick with OEM after umming and ahhing about stainless. Once that lot goes I'll probably get the Magnex in.

Righto,

got my scorpion system fitted, end result: nice fit, no rattles etc. but a bit loud under throttle.

needed to remove 1 of the middle silencer hangers from the underside of the car and rotate the other one 90 degrees, and had to rotate the rear hanger at the tailpipe 180 degrees. Also had to bend it up a bit to get the tailpipe to sit snugly in the recess.

I feel that the tailpipe is a slightly too wide giving it the boy racer look, might cut it off and weld on a new one at a later date, it also sticks out a bit too far from the bumper.

Overall I'm happy as it will last forever and since I bought it 2nd hand it cost me peanuts. But i might check out how easy it is to open the silencers and stick more baffles in to quieten it down a bit more. It's not LOUD but definitely not quiet, fine at cruising speed.

Righto,

got my scorpion system fitted, end result: nice fit, no rattles etc. but a bit loud under throttle.

needed to remove 1 of the middle silencer hangers from the underside of the car and rotate the other one 90 degrees, and had to rotate the rear hanger at the tailpipe 180 degrees. Also had to bend it up a bit to get the tailpipe to sit snugly in the recess.

I feel that the tailpipe is a slightly too wide giving it the boy racer look, might cut it off and weld on a new one at a later date, it also sticks out a bit too far from the bumper.

Overall I'm happy as it will last forever and since I bought it 2nd hand it cost me peanuts. But i might check out how easy it is to open the silencers and stick more baffles in to quieten it down a bit more. It's not LOUD but definitely not quiet, fine at cruising speed.

Pics? :D