Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

Living in a terraced street I can tell you that an exhaust that is "slightly louder than standard" at idle would be a nightmare. Every single tick/click/clank/clatter/pop/bang from under the bonnet sounds about 20 times louder when you're trying to park between two rows of houses ..

I remember one Corrado owner in the area popped round to pick up some bits once with either a Milltek or a Magnex exhaust on his 16v and parked up the street. Even from 200 yards away it was uncomfortably bassy .. It's an object lesson in how to piss your neighbours off if you have to get up early ..

Does any one have a suggestion on where to get a Magnex system for a VR??

Ill be contacting Darren soon with a view to getting some stuff done so does he do them or would i need to supply it to him???????

Not sure if darren does them but owen VR6 is right best price i could find was motorsportworld.co.uk but i paid £315 & £15 p&p.

HTH

Hi,

I'm the Supersprint importer for the UK.

It's sad to see some people have had supply problems. I don't understand this because Supersprint are very good at keeping to any backorder dates. Maybe its problems with the dealer and not me the importer?

If anyone has any questions regarding Supersprint then you can ask away in here. Or email me mailto:[email protected] or you can go onto our new website http://www.supersprint-exhausts.co.uk

Cheers

Steve

supersprint-uk, thanks for posting - can you confirm what is still available as the info from italy is that Supersprint have discontinued some of the Corrado exhausts>?

had the magnex fitted sat, fits very nice, sounds good not to loud but has a nice note, no banging on the rear beam like my standard one did. so very happy would reconmend this system. :D

supersprint-uk, why is there no 2.5" system available for the Corrado? That would be quite nice.

emirc, me too, the one with 2 Borla mufflers is the one to get apparently. Autocavan used to import Techtonics, but sadly they are no more. I am still waiting on an idea of shipping from the states from my usual supplier, I'll let you know.

Supersprint parts that are still available.

1.8 16v

323202 - Front pipe

885913 - Centre pipe

885905 - Rear silencer 120 x 80 oval

2.0 16v

885602 - Cat replacement (51cm)

1.8 G60

885901 - manifold

885903 - Centre exhaust pipe with silencer upto 1991

885913 - centre pipe without silencer upto 1991

2.9 VR6

885701 - Manifold

323612 - Front pipe

886803 - Centre exhaust

886805 - Rear silencer stainless 120 x 80 oval

It's a shame that Supersprint have discontinued certain Corrado components over the years. I've worked as the importer for a little over 5 years now and at one point the Corrado parts sold extremely well. I'd like to see those sales come back again.

Supersprint can and have re-released parts where there has been a demand. They usually ask for a minimum order to make it worthwhile and for them to remake the tooling.

As for a 65mm i.d system I don't know why Supersprint never did this. On an NA car it would be pointless no? Obviously the G60 being supercharged then perhaps an oversized bore would have been a benefit. You have to bare in mind that Supersprint designed the systems for the Corrado over 10 years ago now. So they have never re-designed or developed it. Again They would be able to come up with a 65mm system if the demand was there. They'd need a car for a few weeks aswell.

Thanks for the info.

The Corrado represents a VERY small market compared with it's Golf cousin, which is why a lot of VW performance parts manufacturers and suppliers are now phasing out Corrado specific parts. I suppose it always boils down to the accounts, diminishing demand for parts = pulling the product from their catalogue.

Apart from the Corrado's unique tail pipe, most of the Golf system will fit, so I can't seeing it being that much work for SuperSprint to be honest, especially as they used to do a 2.5" Grp A system for the Golf many moons ago, so the tooling must still be kicking around somewhere?

I hear what you are saying with 2.5" not being appropriate for NA, but there are gains from 4000rpm when using rival 2.5" systems. My VR6 is turboed, so a 2.5" system is a necessity. There won't be sufficient demand for a VR6 2.5" system to make it worth your while unfortunately, which is a shame as I've been a fan of SuperSprint for many years.

There are an increasing number of VR6 turbos coming out of the woodwork in the UK at the moment though, thanks to a very weak dollar, so maybe a MK3 Golf VR6 based 2.5" system would generate more numbers, with perhaps just a 2.5" bore version of the existing Corrado back box to make a full Corrado system?

supersprint-uk, 885905 - Rear silencer 120 x 80 oval was one of the part numbers that supersprint Italy said had been discontinued.......

885905 is a part we are still getting through on our regular stock orders. I currently have 3 units in stock. The new pricelist also features this part so is still available.

Its very frustrating when Supersprint in Italy give out incorrect information. This is why I have developed the uk supersprint website. This way I can keep close control of what is and ins't available. The supersprint.com website is out of date. Early days for the site though. I am working on the content for the database now zzzzzzzz lol

This is why I have developed the uk supersprint website.

Excellent! The .com site always was a bit iffy.

The 6 branch manifold for the VR6, is that LHD only?

I use the .com site as a reference but then I have lots of excel pricelists to back any applications up. The main problem with Supersprint is their availability confusions. On the .com site if you see a part with a blue triangle, this means they no longer make it. It doesn't always mean they dont have it in stock. Us, the UK importer and the German importer keep large stocks so this is why they still keep ALL the parts on their site. It's scary to think how many sales have been lost because of this. Take nocrap's example above.

885701 - VR6 manifold will fit the Golf 3 and Corrado VR6 for sure because I sold one to my friend who had a MK3 and then took the manifold off to put onto his Corrado VR6. I have a couple on order at the moment for stock so all going to plan they will be with me in approx 10 days.

i have a 2.0l 16v and am looking for an exhaust that just noticable on tickover but is throaty when accelerated hard. i dont want one that is really load when just crusing through town or on the motorway?

any recomendations?

I can fully recomend jetex, Like you said just noticible on tickover, and nice when accelerating hard but quite enough around town. Also, the garage that fitted mine said they'd never seen a stainless system that fitted as well. Bought from Demon Tweeks from for £300, came in 7 days!.................Bargin!

But the only reason the Jetex 2.5" system is quieter than other 2.5" systems is because the silencers are restricted, which is no too great for reducing back pressure for turbos......or have you go the stock bore of 2.25"? I think the Stock bore Jetex is 2.25" end to end. The 2.5" is throttled down inside the silencers.

I went for the Techtonics 2.5" in the end, which was also £300 before stainless went up 10% on 1st May, but the shipping and taxes make it dearer than the Jetex.....but for a mandrel 2.5" system with premium hi flow silencers, it's a bargain......especially as a few local places quoted me £600-£800 for a custom system in 2.5 or 3".

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/showpar ... m=252.331X

If you're thinking of getting a Magnex system - don't bother at the moment - i've been waiting for over two weeks for mine and getting a bit fed up now! Should arrive by tuesday...

Has anyone else had any delivery problems? I've asked to have my delivery charge knocked off in compensation but I can't see them doing it really...

car..... g60

exhaust....... standard.........

cars 16 years old and its still spot on!!!!!

was thinking of changing it for something a little flasher but my lil old oval pipes served me well!!!!!

If you're thinking of getting a Magnex system - don't bother at the moment - i've been waiting for over two weeks for mine and getting a bit fed up now! Should arrive by tuesday...

Has anyone else had any delivery problems? I've asked to have my delivery charge knocked off in compensation but I can't see them doing it really...

Yep, been waiting for over two months for mine.... Ordered through venom, but they said Magnex are out of stock at the moment. Did you get yours yet?

I've had this on for a few days now and can recommend it for anyone wanting to go up to 2.5" bore for normally asp, turbo or Supercharged. Available for G60 and VR6.

Techtonics 2.5" with dual Borla mufflers. http://www.techtonicstuning.com/showpart.asp?partnum=252.331X

It's extremely well made from T304 stainless (pipes and silencers) and is therefore pretty light, about 33lbs in total.

This is a very quiet exhaust with a no frills tailpipe. Perfect for a stealthy upgrade with just a slight increase in idle depth and that's it.

Yep, got my magnex last week, looks fantastic only haven't got round to fitting it yet. Hopefully will get round to it on thursday & hoping its as easy as it looks!

By the way - Motorsportworld where i got mine from promised to refund the delivery cost as some compensation, hopefully they will!

Waz