Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

Ive decided its between a magnex (when they are available again) or miltek which is best for the VR6 and also is there any probs with either of these on a lowered car heard rumours of people having to raise their car a bit at the back to allow the exhaust to fit ??

Just received a cat back system from dubpower for my vr6. Impressed with the quality. Boxes are weleded at the ends so you dont get the seams down middle, all nice and shiny! :D :D Will report back when its fitted with feedback on sound and how it looks.

How much do you thinkit would cost to get it fitted?? was going to do it myself but i hate messin about with exhausts!!

Just had my 2 box Jetex fitted and have to say I'm impressed. Not too loud (almost stock really) and the garage that fitted it said they were really impressed with the fit and quality. Got charged 2 hours labour (£80) to fit it. Love the looks too - pics when the sun is out!!

Fitted my cat back, Dubpower system this afternoon! :clap: :clap:

Really pleaseresd with the fit and sound. Sounds stock when normal driving and idle. Then a slight sporty note when putting your foot down. Just what i was after!

Any way heres a few pics:

Fitted my cat back, Dubpower system this afternoon! :clap: :clap:

Really pleaseresd with the fit and sound. Sounds stock when normal driving and idle. Then a slight sporty note when putting your foot down. Just what i was after!

Any way heres a few pics:

Damn it, that looks good and confirms my previous thoughts.......I should have forked out the extra $$$$$ and gone for the dubpower instead of the powerflow.......

mind you have done 1k with the powerflow and the fit is good, and noise is good, although not excellent A bit of a bargain at £310 fitted, but that dubpower OE look is the nuts.....

car: 92 g60.

exhaust: standard except for motek cat bypass.

opinion: i fitted the cat bypass and was well impressed,little more go low down the rev range,and the sound is superb,burbles and pops a little backing off throttle.

plenty loud enough for me too.

Update...

I have finally had to remove the standard system on the G60. I loved how it sounded but it was getting a little tired around the joins on the boxes.

Bought a secondhand Magnex (Had them before and loved them) and what can i say? Typical Magnex, well built, sounds alright and looks alright. Still running the Motek decat, along with the Magnex.

Before the magnex...standard system with a decat. Loved how it sounded to be fair.

th_Magnexbeforefittedvid.jpg

With the Magnex and decat.

th_Magnexafterfittedvid.jpg

Edited by Riley

without reading 31 pages, are standard replacement exhausts available from anywhere now? i need the big middle box from a g6o with the bar type hangers and hate stainless exhausts with a passion :lol:

cheers guys

I best get reading the thread for some suggestions on what system to fit on a 2.0 16v... might be time to give Vince a call as they said they just started doing their own OEM+ style Corrado exhausts with a nice chunky oval Magnex style tail pipe?

My exhaust has been making buzzing noises at certain revs and cruising speed over the past few months but as winter had set in, I figured it'd wait till the better weather came around. I took the Corrado to a mates this evening as it's dry / clear out and on the trip home I began to join an A road at a steady speed and the exhaust note just changed to a much deeper drone... I thought "Wait a minute..." - left the A road at the next exit, and I was slowing up for the junction it was popping like some kind of rally car! Now it's REALLY loud even under gentle acceleration - foot to the floor is spectacularly loud.... think its a bit shagged!!

Hmm.. yep.. the backbox is only being supported by the rubber hangers at the minute and is completely detatched from the rest of the system. I can't tell if there is a connecting pipe which has just rotted away, or if a clamp has just come loose. Car is too low to get my head under and all my jack, etc are all in a lockup in Coventry.

Think I'll just wheel it round to Stealth or DG (depending who can fit me in first!) and get them to see what's what.

i fitted a magnex cat back with decat to my vr6 today. Everything went together easy enough but to get the backbox to sit right, it ended up being too close to the brake bias and bangs against that abit. The hanger nearest the tip is also in completely the wrong place and needs to be about 40mm shorter. Ive managed to bodge it to sit right with a wall tie but i will get the hanger re-welded asap. Anyone else had similar issues with theirs?

I fitted a Magnex cat back system to my 93 VR6 a fortnight ago and it was a perfect fit. Rear box sits perfectly and looks just like a factory fit. Had a Miltek system on my old G60 and that was also extreamly well made and again was a very good and easy fit.

I took a Magnex off at the weekend and it was a piece of piss. Been on for 2years and came of no bother. Still in very good condition after 20k or miles.

Hopefully fitting a 2.5in system and getting the car on the RR next Sat to see if it makes any difference, Magnex is 2.25in.

Techtonics, 8) . Dont think it will make too much difference but luckily its the same RR and it the only change to the car so it should give a decent comparison.

Techtonics, 8) . Dont think it will make too much difference but luckily its the same RR and it the only change to the car so it should give a decent comparison.

Whats made you go for a techtonics mate?

I have a techtonics on now aswell, and I'm also in Aberdeen if you wanna have a look anytime!

Hi,

I got back from a long day at work today to hear that my Corrado failed it's MOT.

Problems are -

Exhaust emissions too high.

Nearside headlight (apparently) needs replacing.

Headlight is annoying,especially as they only judge them purely by eye?! But not too bad to replace.

Main issue, is that I need a Cat Converter...It's a de-cat system (which is legal as such, yes???), and I knew that, BUT it had passed it's last MOT test fine, which was like a month before I actually bought the car. When studying receipts etc, the decat Magnex exhaust has been on for a few years. So I can't figure out how it managed to pass last time?!

What I would be INCREDIBLY appreciative of is any tips (ie - cheats) I can do to bring the emissions down. Even if only for the MOT, I just need it to pass, and quick, the car will be illegal as of tomorrow...

The join between the pipes underneath the car was a loose until 2 months ago, possibly letting some gases out, would this have aided a pass?

Are cat converters for aftermarket exhausts easy to get hold of/fit?

Can't it just be wound back a bit, letting less fuel in?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give all the advice/experience you have, i really need to get this sorted, just can't survive without a car.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Whats made you go for a techtonics mate?

I have a techtonics on now aswell, and I'm also in Aberdeen if you wanna have a look anytime!

Was looking at them as there seem to be a bit of praise for them. Next progression for me would be a S/C so it should help with that. That and its the look I was after.

Hi,

I got back from a long day at work today to hear that my Corrado failed it's MOT.

Problems are -

Headlight is annoying,especially as they only judge them purely by eye?! But not too bad to replace.

Main issue, is that I need a Cat Converter...It's a de-cat system (which is legal as such, yes???), and I knew that, BUT it had passed it's last MOT test fine, which was like a month before I actually bought the car. When studying receipts etc, the decat Magnex exhaust has been on for a few years. So I can't figure out how it managed to pass last time?!

What I would be INCREDIBLY appreciative of is any tips (ie - cheats) I can do to bring the emissions down. Even if only for the MOT, I just need it to pass, and quick, the car will be illegal as of tomorrow...

The join between the pipes underneath the car was a loose until 2 months ago, possibly letting some gases out, would this have aided a pass?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give all the advice/experience you have, i really need to get this sorted, just can't survive without a car.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Firstly VRs adjust their own timing im sure someone will explain in detail as to how. I would have though if the exhaust was blowing this would have been picked up on the previous MOT though could contribute to the emissions reading. Unless the previous owner knew the MOT tester [wink wink].

Take a look on the parts section for a cat. Though i went down the sports cat route which allows a little more flow (but maybe not as muc has a decat), though it will allow it to pass the MOT emissions test.

What exactly was wrong with the headlight to cause it to fail?

Hi,

Problems are -

Thanks guys.

Chris

Firstly VRs adjust their own timing im sure someone will explain in detail as to how. I would have though if the exhaust was blowing this would have been picked up on the previous MOT though could contribute to the emissions reading. Unless the previous owner knew the MOT tester [wink wink]. If it was blowing before the lambda (i assume your decat has a hole for the lambda) then it would cause the engine to run rich, possibly rich enough to make it fail emissions.

Take a look on the parts section for a cat. Though i went down the sports cat route which allows a little more flow (but maybe not as muc has a decat), though it will allow it to pass the MOT emissions test.

What exactly was wrong with the headlight to cause it to fail?