Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

new hoses

Lo all,

Im slowly getting the C sorted and im currently ordering parts left right and center.

I need some new hoses as the standard ones are looking rather past it and one has a hole in thats been taped shut by the previous owner :shock: :roll:

Heres a pic:100_0083.JPG

As you can see, the Air bypass tube from the charger branches upwards and connects to the top of the engine. This is the pipe thats been taped.

Ideally id like to replace as many pipes as possible with performance pipes but which do you recommend, what price are we looking at and wheres the best place to get them from?

Also, because im not sure where to put this next question ill add it on here! The engine bays looking a bit tatty, any suggestions on making it more appealing to the eye?

No idea about the hoses, but as for the engine bay... Have a look in Yellow Pages and ring round a few car valeters to see if any of them do engine bay steam cleaning - one of the best £15 I've spent on the Passat! If they do it properly, they'll cover the alternator and alarm when they do the steam clean, and they should dress all the plastic and hoses afterwards too... Then pop down to your local diy store and get some green-top Nitromors, a metal brush drill attachment, and some fine wire wool, take the rocker cover off, get the paint off it with the Nitromors, and polish it up with the drill attachment, then the wire wool, and finish up with a good polish with Autosol. Makes the world of difference, trust me!

If you can get someone in the States to buy this and ship it over as a "gift" (to avoid the import duty!), then Bahn Brenner Motorsport do a really nice metal charger hose kit - Click here

Anywhere in the UK that deals with G60s like g-werks or Pitstop Developments should be able to source you a Samco or similar coolant hose kit for the G60...

Et voila, instant loveliness under the bonnet!

The one thats been taped is part of the boost return pipe, G-werks will probably have a spare in stock they can sell you or sell you a kit to delete the boost return...

Where can I get good hoses for a VR? Are samco the only ones? They aint cheap!!!

Is there anywhere in the US? The exchange rate is still really good at the moment.

Many of the hoses will be VAG only. Things like fuel hose you can get away with "off the shelf" stuff but most won't be made as a patent part. VAG only which usually means £££. I had a water pipe burst on mine at 113,000 miles (which feeds the head...gulp) so it might be worth getting the full set and replacing the coolant all at the same time. Luckily when mine went I was in traffic and about 150 metres form the garage I used so no head gasket damage but it could have been much worse! I did what gradeAfailure did but I sprayed mine instead of polishing it (lazy). It took a morning and allowed me to get all around the head with degreaser and a toothbrush. (See Dubforce pics below for finished rocker).

Thanks for all the good info!

Just wondering what problems will i encounter with having the boost return pipe taped?

And what advantages would i get by deleting the boost return?