Sign in to follow this  
dannyc

your knowledge is needed...

sorry to be asking this sort of thing again cos i've done a search and found others asking similar Qs before.

i've checked the things that peeps have mentioned in other threads and have narrowed the prob down.

my temp gauge is getting too high and when i stop you can see steam coming out of the header tank.

i've checked the two pipes coming off the rad and they are both hot, the top the hotter buts its suposed to be isn't it?

the rad itself is warm so thjat is working ok.

the fan is working.

i've spotted a drip underneith just by the passengers wheel, but i can't see it through the engine bay, any ideas which pipe it could be?

just been back down to the car and its stopped and totaaly dried up so it must only be leaking when its under pressure

Are you sure its not you expansion tank cap thats leaking?? This will cause your car to overheat cos you will loose pressure....

just been back down to the car and its stopped and totaaly dried up so it must only be leaking when its under pressure

have you checked the expansion tank/header tank cap seal is OK, sometimes the rubber o-ring inside can come adrift and the system will not be able to pressurise and will just boil over. Ther tank itself could also have a leak

David.

just checked the cap and the seal was half off. replaced it and let it run up to temperature and everything seems ok

i'll go out for a long run just to make sure

thanks for all the advice :lol:

oh and i've got a 2.o 16v

Well done, have heard of people changing their head gaskets because they assumed that was causing the problem, when it was just the header tank cap.