Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Urgent Help...NOW!

Umm, got a mile from work and smelt fuel, big time!

Drove back and popped the bonnet and fuel was all over the belt tensioner, around the left side of engine and over the lower hose end. Also on the end of the fuel rail, but i couldnt see where it had come from?

End of the lower of the 2 pipes is def fraid slightly at the end, but it appears to have stopped now!?

DO I DRIVE HOME? as for some reason it seems to have stopped now its hot? Or do i call the AA and go into waitrose and chill out on the sofas watching the plasmas until they turn up!??

I understand these will be opinions and if it goes up its my problem??

PS: Have a powder exdinguisher in the car (Small one!) HEEEEELP!

Hmmm, I'd err on the side of caution - you really don't want to risk your 'rado going the same way that US Mk4 Golf did!

my initial reaction, but knowing my luck with their knowledge it will get worse! espec with my recent luck with having stuff done!

Main question is whys it stopped when hot!?

mine used to leak where the pipe from the fuel pump goes into the fuel rail,it only did it when it was under pressure

Don't drive any further. Fuel leaks ARE serious and you could end up with an engine fire. Call the AA to be safe, and get the pipe work replaced thats been split.

Dad's going to take a look, but its looking like the AA as Jim has scared me! Looking like the first time shes going to let me down completely then.

I was reading that us thread the other night aswell, idiot. At least both the pipes have 94 on them so theyve last well, I surpose. Suprised im in such a good mood still, but prob not after the AA wait!

Well, its better to be safe than sorry.. you could probably have made it home but having been in the situation where one of my fuel lines decided to split and dribble fuel over the hot exhaust manifold, I didnt go anywhere till I fixed it!

Jim, wise words it turns out thank you...............

Was a no go as when we wipped off the induction kit to see if we could do it there and then the pipe was not only leaking from the fuel rail join on both pipes, but it was so hard and brittle we managed to make it leak half way along!! Its almost crumbly, wow! and very very lucky i think.

Seems wierd, but id been smelling something for a few days and i think my still dodgey engine mount maybe accelerated the problem.

Hence me just having got home on the yellow lorry! Car safely in my garage and clamped up to stop leakage in the garage.

Basically then, do i get vag hoses or can i just buy a couple of lengths from halfords and cut them if its standard hose diameter? Will be doing sat myself and garage checking my work for free monday to be safe.

Do i need to take that heat sheild off aswell?

umm, just taking it all apart, where do those pipes end bulk head side!!!?? looks rather more involved than i first thought!!!!!?????

I'd just go get the VAG stuff mate.. their fuel hoses are reasonably expensive but it should at least be cut to the right size and it is very good (OE!) quality and should last you another 11 years or so :)

:arrow: Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:02 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

umm, just taking it all apart, where do those pipes end bulk head side!!!?? looks rather more involved than i first thought!!!!!?????

Now that is hard core .. :salute: :thumbleft: :notworthy: