Sign in to follow this  
jhanlon

VR6 Auto???

Anyone got any thoughts on a VR6 automatic? I've never driven any sort of auto in my life but have my eye on one which looks pretty good. Interested in knowing how the performance compares to a manual and how much less the car would be worth. I know it won't quite stand up to (or keep up with) a manual but if there's not too much of a difference maybe i could live with it :?: or not? :roll: or does it just take the fun out of driving?? :?

If it was a modern five or six speed auto there probably would not be much difference but an old four speeder - I reckon it will feel pretty sluggish

2 schools of thought. some say it is lazy and a bit slower and some say the power is still there when you want it.

I once drove a friend's vr auto round the hills in north Wales and has a fantastic time. The kickdown was ace and apart from not knowing what to do with my left foot all was good. However I wouldn't buy one I get to much pleaure from driving mine and deciding when to change gear.

If you are looking for a fast cruiser then auto could be the way, But if you get any sort of satisfaction in driving country lanes, changing gear and giving it some wiggins then you might regret the auto box.

If you do alot of town driving up and down the gears then you might benefit. I had an auto before my C and still do the same route to/from work and do get a bit fed up with gear changes. The auto was much more stress free.

I had an auto Golf VR6, it certainly wasn't sluggish thats for sure!! Was great for cruising but I did miss the option to change gear for myself. Didn't regret it though

Think i would regret it if i had bought an Auto although you would be happy with it, theres the "if only i had bought a manual" thoughts that you would get a bit like the "if only i had bought a 3door" thoughts i occasionaly used to get in my mk2 gti.

Make sure you get it cheaper for being an auto;

Mines an auto, and, being an old 4 speed box it is a bit sluggish compared with a manual. Plans to convert it to manual have been put on hold as the missus prefers auto. Haing said that, i always find driving it LIKE a manual using the gears is the best way to get the performance out of it. Its damn quick on kickdown but even better dropping it into 2nd and then third, plus you have the benefit of easy traffic driving. I know its been knocked but th auto concept is not too bad tbh, and thats from someone who never really likes autos. There may be other auto boxes which can be dropped in, which i may consider. I'll look into it and report back. Not bad tbh.

I'm actually thinking of selling it and buying a manual simply for the fun factor. Someone offered me 6.5k at a garage recently which made me think a bit. Was thinking of a conversion but unfortunatly time is a luxury i am distinctly short of.

Oh and don't forget the auto box will cost you 4-5 mpg, more in town ...

I know everyone always says this but so far I havent found it to be true. My auto vr is suprisingly cheap on petrol and I still get upwards of 36mpg on longish runs (40mins plus) and I dont find it drops too badly round town. Its actually pretty similar to my 2l 16v Mk2 - although I do tend to rev that a bit more :oops:

If you find a nice auto you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it - just try and get one with a decent gearbox as there pretty pricey to fix - Mines got less than 12k on it now but it cost the previous owner 2k :wink:

I still get upwards of 36mpg on longish runs (40mins plus) and I dont find it drops too badly round town

Yep, same here and its not too bad around town too.

just try and get one with a decent gearbox as there pretty pricey to fix

They're not the smoothest of boxes anyway, i think that is something down to the old 096 design, as every auto VW of that time that I've been in seems a little rough on gear changes.

Having extolled the virtues of an auto, mines going up for sale once I get the scuffs done and repolish all the leather. Will post details and pics in another thread when its all done.

Mines an auto, love it, but unfortunately its started to make a rather strange noise on gear changes - could be expensive to fix, i did originally buy with the intention of changing to a manual, as the car was the right spec in every other way, but hope the auto can be saved, cause it is so easy to drive, and power aint an issue, probably a couple of tenth's of a second slower

They may well be "not too bad" in terms of MPG losses, but there are losses. Much more so if you sit in traffic (cos the clutch is dragging 100% of the time).

Useless statistic time:

US: 90% auto 10% "stick shift"

UK: 90% manual 10% auto

Italy: >99% manual

despite some of the worst traffic in the world in the cities, Italians just will NOT give up the ability to change gear manually.

Mmmmm... Is it because most people in Italy drive low capacity diesel engined cars ('cause they're cheap) that don't come with an auto option :?:

Well my auto is now definetly up for sale :wink: need the cash for my mk2 and maybe to add towards a cupra r fund 8) also have a mint 1275 mini for sale (47k) if anyones on the lookout. Will be posting pics soon :)