Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Help - Noisy VR

My VR is well sick!!!!

It started making some knocking noises in the engine a few days ago, only at 3000 revs or more.

Today however it has got really bad, and is doing it at idle. I had to drive it to my mates, and on the way it seemed to stop, but then started again.

It sounds like something is knocking on the top of the rocker cover.

Also when my mate was looking in it, there was a small spark and small little puff of smoke from one of the HT leads (Number 2) near the spark plug, could the lead be breaking down? Or plug?

Anyone had this problem before?

Sounds like the lead is breaking down.

Could be a loose spark plug? I had a noise for a while that was eventually traced to a loose plug.

Got some new plugs and leads ordered.

On that subject, how do people get their leads off? I know VW do a removal tool but its not the best plastic!!

Do any other companies make any? Or is it a screw driver and pliers job?

Ok, changed the f*ucked leads which were held together with insulation tape!!!!! :x

The noise is still apparent though. It doesnt however seem to be the cylinders. It sounds more like the exhaust outlet at the back of the engine before the exhaust.

It sounds like a loose item rattling, or something knocking and it gets worse with revs, and sometimes goes completely quiet for a few secs.

is there anything that could have come loose?

Any ideas?

Anyone near Blackpool/Preston who could lend an expert ear? :cry: :(

You mean knocking as in a fixed rate, once per revolution sorta thing, or rattling as in there something loose that may or may not decide to rattle at the same speed as the engine spins?

OK, got some history.

The lad I bought it from had the bottom end go a few months ago due to a burst pipe.

He had it repaired at a garage (on the cheap), and also the head was skimmed and the gasket changed.

Its only since then that this has happened, 300 miles after the work.

Ive had a mate look at it with me, and we both seem to think there is something loose somewhere ie nut or bolt.

So, I am now going to have to get it towed back to Norwich, and get the f*cking cowboys to get it sorted!!!

Its already been back in once for the alternator which they supposedly changed, not working properly, which still isnt working properly!!!

I can see a trading standards issue coming here!!! Any lawyers here?? :wink:

Well its in the garage now. Upon first hearing it they reckon its the hyd lifters, we'll see. Is it a big job? What sort of time and money is involved???

3-4 hours labour maybe, a full set of GSF lifters is about £70+VAT, full set of genuine VW ones are about £190+ VAT!

Yeah but I think they may have to accept some responsibility for the dodgy leads i had to replace!!! F*ckers!!!

Just got a phone call. The oil filter was blocked, and stopping the oil getting through to the lifters, and causing the horrible rattle.

Does this sound feasible?

Yikes.

Low oil pressure could cause massive problems, best cross yer fingers that's all it's done!

Hes had the car for 3 weeks after doing work previously.

The last bloke had the bottom end done due to a water pipe burst. He's put it back together and driven it, and says its sorted, apart from the f*cked alternator he replaced the other week, which he now has to replace again!!!

It was stopped straight away. He's had the head off and also been into the bottom end. Checked oil in the sump, no problems apparent. I bloody hope so anyway!!!