Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

Who has a Kenwood head unit?

Got a Kenwood tape head unit connected to a cd changer. We disconnected the battery today and now the head unit won't work. Is there some kind of reset code that we're supposed to have??

Checked the fuse in the back of the HU? If you need one it's a funny shaped one IIRC, smaller than a standard blade fuse - Halfrauds may stock them.

Failing that, have you checked the fuse under dash? It's possible something blew when you reconnected the battery, it's happened to me a couple of times in the past.

HTH

:)

Its not a fuse problem I don't think because it still has power. The fascia still rotates itself but that's about it. I've done a search on google and apparently it was supposed to come with a keyfob that you had to use when reconnecting it. So, I think it's fubar unless anyone has a keyfob that I can borrow???

I've had a couple of Kennys now, and have never had to mess aboot with keyfobs, hmmm freaky. Whats the model number btw?

Well that's bloody silly. rah. What happens if you lose the keyfob?? Oh yeah :(

I'm guessing this is on your new VR, and you didn't get the fob with the car? Maybe a call to Kenwood tomorrow could get you a new fob...

I'm guessing this is on your new VR, and you didn't get the fob with the car?

yep, you guessed right! Am going to speak to kenwood tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do about it.

Fingers crossed eh? You just know they are going to ask you for every detail though, serial number, where it was purchased, rough date, inside leg, favourite colour etc...

Ah just grab one of these. Much easier :D (ok, it's not as cheap as the phone call option, but i'm lazy!)

Silly question but have you check the glovebox and any other potential hiding places that the keyfob might have been stashed in?

Unlikely I know, but you never know :)

Yeah checked glovebox and ashtray etc when we were looking for wheel nut key so unless it's somewhere really ridiculous it's not in the car!!

Yes you need the keyfob for the stereo to get it to work again. They have a code stored in them so its like entering a code but you don't know it. I have a kenwood kc901 aswel but i am sure that each one has a different code. If not i can lend you mine but i do not think it will be any use.

Robbo

If it comes to the worst mate, Ive got a kenwood CD player (KDC-4090R) in my Nissan which I can sell to you. Its not amazing, but its good enough and it has a CD controller built in so you wouldnt need to buy a new system.

You checked under the rear arm rest?

That's where the cd changer is. I'm going to have a good look everywhere, then ring kenwood tomorrow, failing that I'll have to get a new head unit.

robbo101 thanks for the offer mate but I'd be surprised if your keyfob would work on mine.

You're looking for the "MASK key".

My last Kenwood system used this.

The keyfob is unique and matched to your headunit.

You point it at the headunit and press the button on the fob.

It uses the Infra Red port to send the MASK code to the stereo.

I was told when I bought the unit to keep the MASK Key safe as a new one is £80.

The new Kenwood MASK headunits are uniquely matched with their detachable faceplates in the same way.

when you bought it form the " dealer " ..did he sell it to you with a stereo...cos if he did then you should get in touch with him....its not fair that you should have to spend any money on the stereo if the car was supposed to come with a working one.

EDIT-- "Kenwood Mask Cassette Deck with a 10 Disc MP3 Changer - Nicely fitted where the First Aid Kit belongs, "

looks like he did...

Hmm, sold as seen so probably not going to get anywhere with that one. It did work when we bought it anyway, just stopped working when we disconnected battery!!

just stopped working when we disconnected battery!!

true i spose....but still...i'd say that the fob is part of the stereo that he has advertised as coming with the car...a fairly important part too as you have found out.

as someone who makes his living from buying and selling..i would certainly want to make sure that you got what you paid for...so would feel duty bound to replace the fob......ring him and have a chat...gotta be better than having to spend money on your car already!.

when you bought it form the " dealer " ..did he sell it to you with a stereo...cos if he did then you should get in touch with him....its not fair that you should have to spend any money on the stereo if the car was supposed to come with a working one.

Sorry, I disagree. The dealer cannot possibly be responsible. It's just one of those unfortunate things when you buy a second hand car.

what is the benefit then of buying from a dealer?...to me it's to do with the fact that if you were not sold EXACTLY what was advertised then you had comeback...as an important part of the stereo that the car was advertised with was not included in the sale id say that was right to ring the dealer and nicely ask him if he can replace the stereo or provide me with the key.im not saying that the dealer tried to pull a fast one...im sure he didnt have a clue about the missing fob...

im just saying its gotta be worth apealing to the fairness of the trader to see what he says......to a self employed businessman GOOD WILL is very important .

maybe im wrong...it wouldnt be the first time! :ignore:

the mask headunits have a button on the reverse of the face plate when rotated. you cant see it, you have to feel for it so to speak. its the stranges thing in the world too. try the middle bottom of the plate.

Does anyone know if you can get adaptor leads for old auto changers to new head units? The CD auto changer is an old one and we may have to get a new head unit. The problem is the DIN connection lead that allow the head-unit to talk to the changer are different on the old ones in comparison to the new ones. The ‘Expert’ (16 year old boy) at the motorist centre said that the adaptor leads were £50-£100; I think that that was a load of ‘cow poo’. But I’m not the expert! Any ideas?

"somecolourcatvr6?" Bit late perhaps but did you ask the dealer who the previous owner was in csae they have the code fob in the kitchen drawer?

"edit" oops, sorry, just noticed you have changed your name

Not-Aircooled. Suggest trying the manufacturers probably best bet? Sometimes though a lead still won't help as the newer units speak a different "language". You may get some/all of the audio but not all the additional functionality they build in these days.

I know a company that can get rid of the feature that requires the Mask-key, unfortunatly they are in Shrewsbury (Les Evans and Son - 01743 450457 IIRC)

New Mask keys are definately about £80 and are unique, had to get one for a customer a while back.

Not a lot you can do unless you either get a new Mask key or get the feature permanently removed!