Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Crunch - Doh! - Have bike in rack on car!

My eldest forgot he had bike on roof rack the other night.

Drove into Sainsbury's car park, girder type barrier knocked bike flying.

"How did my bike fall off roof?" he said as he saw it in rear-view mirror.

Remembered barrier when he got out car.

As he examined damage, tall white van screeched to halt just before barrier - nearly another!

My lad's car is Lupo GTi - he will be getting damage to doorway fixed later at approved bodyshop. Needs new front wheel for bike, too. Glad damage is so minor - suppose you can get a lot worse?

Any forum members got anecdotes of this type mishap?

If he had a Corrado, he could've had 3 bikes on the roof and still would've made it under the barrier ;)

I've managed to leave a drink on the car roof as I've driven off before. That's about it though, fortunately.

I'm incredibly absent minded but never made any gaffs like that i'm glad to say :)

My worst C related gaff was using a tailgate style bike rack and forgetting to disconnect the active spoiler, so it rose up gracefully into a metal pedal, leaving a nasty gouge :roll:

I'm mega absent minded, I've gone to work leaving the front door key in the door about 4 or 5 times now.....but thankfully key and house contents still present when getting back from work!

It's scary how easy it is lose so much from something so ridiculously stupid....no forced entry, no insurance pay out!

My worst C related gaff was using a tailgate style bike rack and forgetting to disconnect the active spoiler, so it rose up gracefully into a metal pedal, leaving a nasty gouge :roll:

Previous owner of mine did that too, 2 nasty looking touch ups on the spoiler. Ah well, something else to add to the list :roll:

Almost a C gaffe. Came back from the takeaway last week and had left the garage door open so I could just park straight in on return.

Got out car, locked it, locked garage.

Where house key?

Yep, in the C.

Fortunately garage has external padlock.

Borrow neighbour's hacksaw.......

Does my Mum doing it about 40 years ago count?

Dad rode 24 hour cycle events and she had his spare bike on roof rack. Drove onto grass verge to prepare for another feed and tried to drive under a wide road sign. Wide but NOT tall.

She nearly did it again 10 years later when my new racing bike was on the roof rack and we stopped to get petrol from an old private garage that had a corrugated iron canopy. Bike just managed to squeeze under.

As for me... I've unpacked the car after a long tiring journey then drove into the garage with tail gate still up :oops:

At a car-park in deepest darkest Dartmoor and I saw someone hit their caravan on one of those low-bar girders. Gave the old-guy in the car the shock of his life, totally forgotten he was towing it! :roll: