Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

What grade of Petrol for my VR6

Hi all. Just joined the forum after picking up my VR6 on Sunday. Always wanted one!

I am concerned that I may have filled up with the wrong petrol. I filled her up with regular unleaded. Should I be using the higher octane (more expensive) flavour?

If so could I have caused damage to the engine?

Ta

Welcome to the forum!

Regular 95RON unleaded will work fine, but nine out of ten Corrado owners prefer super unleaded or BP Ultimate / Shell Optimax :)

Shell optimax is 98 ron as recomended on the inside of the fuel filler flap, it will run on 95 ron normal unleaded, but isn't quite as responsive.

But don't go to supermarkets for fuel

I always use optimax

Cheers and have fun with the VR6

Ady

Yeah the car runs smoother and more responsive on the higher RON fuels, definately.

I pretty much used to run my G60 on Ultimate all the time, wherever my wallet allowed!

Supermarket fuels are fine, I always run my VR6 on Sainsburys super (97 RON) its higher octane than standard unleaded and massively cheaper than the likes of Optimax.

I thought that although optimax was more expensive, it burnt more efficiently, so it might end up costing you the same, but you go further on a tank, and faster.

I only did 4000 miles in the last year though so fuel costs aren't that costly

Ady

VR6 ECU adjusts auto matically for fuelling with 95 - 99 RON. Difference in power though acorss the rev range. Generally about a 3 - 4% power loss between 98RON and 95RON at peak revs (5,800rpm) and proportionally below that.