Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

crank pulley bolt

just about to put my DX bolt supplied by tempest on what sort of socket removes the old pulley bolt is it a spline drive? also Tempest if you read this i take it the package just included a bolt and a washer? just it came open in the post.

There is just a bolt and washer Bill. You need a 12 point/bi-hex socket to remove the std one 17mm. The DX as you have spotted is a 6 point Hex design.

Gavin

Yeah it's nnnn19 not 17

cool i hope it comes off easily! ive heard you can just take it off and put the new one in is there any chance the pully could come off i take it the serp belt pully is bolted to the crank pulley which is on a spline so its pretty unlikely!?

You'll be OK. Be prepared with a big old bar to undo it with. Also required a mate with a big right leg for the brakes.

You'll wonder how they break after you have undone one.

GAvin

Sorry to hear your parcel opened up during posting, but yes, there was just a bolt (22 mm hex head) and washer in there. The old stretch bolt has a 19 mm 12-point head.

I couldn't get mine undone, so had to go to a garage where they had some air-powered impact guns, bolt then came out in less than 5 seconds. But, as there are 3 sprockets attached to each other, the outer 2 under strain by their relevant belts, the whole assembly nudged a bit, due to which the guy at the garage couldn't get the new bolt in properly. They had to undo the whole thing including timing belt (after they'd rounded off two of the 4 Allen bolts holding the 3 pulleys and vibration damper together), reposition the whole thing onto the crankshaft then re-insert the new DX bolt !

Good luck, is all I can say, as mine wasn't the easy job I'd imagined it to be (after the garage had finished they'd also overtightened the timing belt tensioner! Oh well, at least that was easy to rectify :lol:).

Tempest

My Cranksfaft oil seal is leaking bad!! Reading through various threads to gen myslef in preparation to have a go myslef.. Whats this DX bolt? Does anyone know what i'll need to order from GSF? Parts wise complete..

My Cranksfaft oil seal is leaking bad!! Reading through various threads to gen myslef in preparation to have a go myslef.. Whats this DX bolt? Does anyone know what i'll need to order from GSF? Parts wise complete..

dx bolt is a crankshft pully bolt from a mk1 golf gti :) you need the washer and some loctite too.

bolt - n040 1064

washer - 068 105 193a

neil. :)