Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Possible Overfueling?

Just got back from a sunny week in Newquay travelling there and back by 'rado without too many hitches (apart from running out of petrol and having to be pushed by the aircooled boys), but a couple of questions.

I travelled down and back mostly on motorways/A roads, and my average MPG for the whole trip (calculated) was just over 30. I was being relatively well behaved at a steady 80, even pottling at 70 some of the time because of the heat. Should I be getting better MPG than this on a 1.8 valver running standard apart from 2 exhaust cams, powerflow system and K&N panel?

My second query is that the car is very lumpy when dropping to idle, and only some prodigious 'heel and toe' action prevents it from stalling. When it did stall, it refused to restart until I bumped it.

Could this be a knackered fuel filter (which I'm going to change anyway after running out of petrol), or could the timing be out? The car idles at 1000rpm.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom the idle screw may be in too far. Disconnect the red/black wire by the coil and see what happens. I think it'll stall.

If it does wind the screw out a couple of turns and start again. Keep trying until the idle is good and steady.

Then reconnect the wire.

Gavin

EDIT I used to get better than 30 mpg from my Corrado with exhaust cams and VSAM on the run up and down to Gatwick. Late at night and early in the morning so usually at warp speed.

Here's another thought. With the 2 exhaust cams, I would expect the manifold pressures are different to the std cams. That might influence the MFA readings. Top up to to up is the best way to calculate MPG.

Gavin

Apparently I'm getting 99.9 mpg. Hmmm, methinks the MFA might be a little off there.

wanna swap?...im only getting 10 at the momment :roll:

The pipe will be off under the dash is the mostly likely scenario there.

Gavin

Cheers fella! Is that the vac pipe that goes to the back of the instrument cluster? I'll go have a look at it if it ever stops raining!

Just got back from a sunny week in Newquay travelling there and back by 'rado without too many hitches (apart from running out of petrol and having to be pushed by the aircooled boys), but a couple of questions.

I travelled down and back mostly on motorways/A roads, and my average MPG for the whole trip (calculated) was just over 30. I was being relatively well behaved at a steady 80, even pottling at 70 some of the time because of the heat. Should I be getting better MPG than this on a 1.8 valver running standard apart from 2 exhaust cams, powerflow system and K&N panel?

My second query is that the car is very lumpy when dropping to idle, and only some prodigious 'heel and toe' action prevents it from stalling. When it did stall, it refused to restart until I bumped it.

Could this be a knackered fuel filter (which I'm going to change anyway after running out of petrol), or could the timing be out? The car idles at 1000rpm.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Whip a plug or two out, that will give you a pretty good idea of how rich the engine is running.

Have you checked the leads (visually and with a multimeter for resistance), rotor arm, dizzy cap, ignition timing and engine timing?

If you haven't already then think about replacing the injector o-rings too.

David.

Thanks gents. I haven't checked the leads yet, and the timing should be spot on as it's just had a new head. Still, it did it again up in Edinburgh so somethings up with it... When crawling in traffic (or even just coming to a halt), if you don't keep the revs up manually, they drop to about 500 and then it stalls and refuses to restart unless you leave it for about a minute.

I'll have a poke about at the weekend.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, I am in York Saturday 9th, I'll bring a few tools with me if you like. Timing light and DVM.

Gavin

another suggestion for you! no-ones mentioned the ISV yet - give it a clean and check the connections as it could be sticking/ failing intermittently, also check the micro switch on the throttle switch is quietly clicking when throttle is at closed position... if not then you may be occasionally idleing of the idle screw alone which gavin mentions above.

Gavin that would be cracking if you don't mind helping me out. The cappucinos/beers will be on me! :-). aide, is the ISV on the 1.8 in a different place to that of the 2.0l? I'll try to have a look tonight before I go out, but as you may have guessed I'm not the most mechanically gifted (but trying to learn) :-)

isv is a cylindrical silver thing mounted on the right hand side of the inlet manifold, if you do a serach you should find a few threads re removing and cleaning.

the microswitch looks like a small black piece of plastic mounted on an L shape bracket to the throttle body, the small ball bearing should be depressed when the throttle cable is fully slack. there is a test to determine whether this switch is bust, but this requires a haynes manual and a test meter :)

Cheers! After some fiddling with the idle screw last night (after it had conked out on me) it now idles (albeit reluctantly). Some refinedment required methinks, but heel and toe work is not longer neccessary (but still fun :-)).

Thanks again all,

Tom