Sign in to follow this  
PurpRado

16v rado problem hesitation, backfires, and lack of power

Well my fuel metering head went bad on the car so I just replaced, now I am having major problems with the performance and timing of the car. It sounds and smells like it is running way to rich. When it runs it has a huge hesitation that causes it to start to back fire, not to mention when I floor it does not want to go anywhere in a quick hurry. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Check the lambda probe mate.I had the same trouble with mine and replaced all the usual stuff to no avail and discovered it was the lambda probe.

Yep sounds like the lambda probe to me too. Had the same prob with mine until I changed it.

It'll be in your down-pipe somewhere. Is your car a 1.8? My car hasn't got a lambda probe, and I'm having similar symptoms to you i.e. running as rich as a mofo, lots of popping on the overrun, occasionally feels flat.

no I bought the metering head used how do I set the fuel mixture is it by the solenoid on the right side behind the screw on it? Also what tools do I need thanks for all the help!

i may be wrong here m8(someone correct me if i am!)

the mixture is adjusted by an allen key that you put in a tube next to the metering head?

anywhere between 1% and 2% on the co machine is fine.

neil.

this is my first post in about 6 months but rileys right, co2 is adjusted by a 3mm allan key through a small hole between the metering head and inlet elbow. ideally you should get the incoming fuel pressure set as well, the metering head can be temperemental bit of kit if not set up right!

the lambda probe is on the exhaust mate but it can be an absolute ba****d to get out if its been in there for a while but it gives all the symptoms u have said if its paggered.Using too much fuel,popping of the exhaust,crap mpg,hesitation etc.Get it checked if u can mate with a diagnostic machine,its the only true way to tell if its this.The fault will show up and u can get it repaired.Ru in germany mate?whereabouts?

so far I have started to adjust the metering head it seems to be making a world of a difference but since i do not have the proper tools I have to adjust then start it up and continue doing so till it is absolutly correct so i guess time will tell if it is working or not. Will keep everyone posted on it though.

I am Bitburg Germany by the way