Sign in to follow this  
bix

Big crunch into 3rd

Hi all, as the subject says, theres an almighty crunch into 3rd @ redline, obviously its not too healthy, and I'd never thrash my C, but whats going on? I mean I didn't think 3rd even had synchromesh?

Of course its a big enough job getting the gearbox off, which I would do myself, but what sort of job is fixing 3rd gear, I don't know, I mean I cant see as getting a gearbox from the scrappie is much good, cuz u dont know what ur getting and you're prolly back where u started.

So whats my best plan of action?(plz dont say change gear earlier :))

first give it an oil change and see if that smooths it out!

failing that . . .

find a good breakers and get another 'box.

then, at your leisure, you could get your original 'box recon'd. or attempt to recon it yourself. good luck with that!

Yes third has a syncromesh.. You'd be double-declutching for your whole life otherwise!

All the cogs have syncro, apart from reverse. And even reverse has syncro on the new boxes now.

It's a big job stripping down the gearbox, and it's vital that you put all the bits back in the right order, so either get a book and follow it religiously or pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it!

I have this same problem, although not as bad as yours sounds. My front engine mounts is knackered though so I think that has something to do with mine, Going to change that and get the g'box oil changed and hope for the best.

Try some redline MT90, it's the only oil worth putting in VAG boxes.

Crunching is nothing to do with engine mounts..... it's the synchro hubs failing to equalise the meshing gear speeds....now that can be down to worn synchro rings, not pressing the clutch down fully, knackered oil, etc etc.