Sign in to follow this  
lukeage

Time & Value as yrs pass.

Hi All,

I am out in the market at the moment hoping to pick up a VR6.

There seems to be a lot of well experienced corroda merchants on this forum. So i thought where better to ask the following:

Has the corroda increased or decreased in value as of late? - I know there has likely been a large but steady depreciation since they first rolled out (as with any car). But has there been a noticable rise fall as of late? Or even a particular trend forming?

Ok - are here you - this to much much of generalised question, as the value is contingent upon the condition of the car the model year and millege, so as i very very rough guide:

Standard Corrado VR6.

Well maintained engine.

L or M reg (93/4).

FSH.

My reason for asking is if i was to spend 4k/5k on a vr6, is it likely to hold near that value, if well cared for and loved?

Cheers,

Luke

Trade prices for these cars are very low, and don't really reflect what you will have to pay to a private seller for a good example. The canny traders have picked up on this and are picking up some bargains from people with no clue and whacking good mark-ups on the cars when they pass them on.

My own observation of the market over the past few years has seen the value of Corrados stay more or less the same (at least for the VR6 end of the market). This has been despite the WHOLE used car market tumbling significantly in that time due to major competition on new car prices, so to answer your question - yes, mostly, VR6s are holding their value quite well.

Bear in mind, however, that maintenance costs can be high so this may well cancel out the benefits of low depreciation..

At the end of the day, you should never ever invest in a car unless you can afford to lose ALL of that money in the event of a bad thing happening... Cars are bad investments!

As for your example price above, it really depends on a lot of things. At the 100k mark you've really got to assume a car will need a timing chain renewal done soon, so the value starts to drop .. until that work has been done, at which point the values are strong again.

But also consider: a £22950 (when new) Storm VR6 can fetch as much as £10000 now (in MINT cond), ten years later. How many other VWs can make that sort of claim?

I think you'll find that very few people on here have bought their Corrado as an investment - pretty much everyone on here is an owner because of their love & devotion to the car itself...!

On the opposite end of the scale you have had people with 16v cars in good condition that just cant sell them right now, or have ended up selling them at stupidly low prices.

Have to agree with grade A - there is only one forum member that I know of that has a car as an 'investement'

And after you drive one you won't want to put it away anyway!!