Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Removing anti Roll Bar

Was at a garage today where in general chat the mechanic seemed to think that the anti roll bar only works properly with standard suspension set up????, aparantly he said when a car is fitted with coilovers you get a much better feel with the ARB removed.........is this just a load of bollox or what??

If the fella doesn't work for a race team I take that as cobblers myself.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thinking aloud; if the suspension has been lowered, there is a lessened tendency to roll due to the lower centre of gravity, so the ARB could be reduced in diameter. An ARB is certainly a compromise as it causes the suspension on one side to have an effect on the other in roll (but not in pitch), so if that effect can be reduced it's all to the good.

Best wishes

RB

can anyone verify for certain if its good or bad to remove??, if my coilovers will work better without then i'd like to use em with full potential

If you remove your front arb you will end up with exessive oversteer, some people do this for track use as it can make it entertaining driving with the back end out everywhere. On touring cars they disconnect the front arb in the wet only, to decrease understeer.

Leave it the way it is, or upgrade to a thicker bars. If you find the arb doesnt seem to be working as well with the car lowered then its probably been lowered too far so the wishbones are sitting below horizontal like this: \____/ (Slightly exaggerated of course.)

The rear arb is integral to the rear beam and I dont think it can be removed.

If you remove your front arb you will end up with exessive oversteer, some people do this for track use as it can make it entertaining driving with the back end out everywhere. On touring cars they disconnect the front arb in the wet only, to decrease understeer.

Leave it the way it is, or upgrade to a thicker bars. If you find the arb doesnt seem to be working as well with the car lowered then its probably been lowered too far so the wishbones are sitting below horizontal like this: \____/ (Slightly exaggerated of course.)

The rear arb is integral to the rear beam and I dont think it can be removed.

When I had my car (16v) up on the garage ramp to do the front wishbones I noticed that they were almost flat with the full weight of the car sitting on it's suspension, that's with Eibach springs which only lower it by 20 to 30mm. Any lower and the wishbones would be pointing up as you say - not the way the suspension design was intended!

David.

If you turned up for your MOT with even worn ARB bushes, let alone the total absence of the ARB itself, your car would fail the test and rightly so.

This next paragraph is guaranteed to raise a few issues with those of us who modify their cars, but here goes!!

If you do remove the ARB, you risk making the car officially unroadworthy, with all that this implies (Construction and Use Regs., insurance, etc.). A report from a qualified Automotive Engineer might get you back to legality - a bit like having a kit car properly certificated.

If the front of the car can roll more, there will most certainly be an alteration to its oversteer/understeer characteristics which may catch you unawares. You can compensate with higher rate springs and dampers or by reducing the ride height, or both, but it's something on which the manufacturers spend millions to get it right (ish) and I'm a little worried when people start to second guess this process.

If you really do know what you are doing, I apologise for presuming to imply criticism. If not, let us know where and when you intend to experiment with this, and I'll be somewhere else that day.....

Best wishes

RB

I think with the mot's if the bushes are worn or sheared then theres a risk of the bar scraping the ground and catching, thats why the car would fail. If there was no bar at all it would probably pass.

I still wouldnt remove it though.