junkie

Alarm fitters to AVOID

It seems so many people get stung by dodgy dealers and fitters.

So it makes sense to name and shame these thieves.

Would make a good sticky next to the Recommended fitters.

I had the alarm in my old car fitted by GAP (Clifford Concept 300):

> "brain" was installed within easy reach onto the side of the steering column

> It kept going off! The sensitivity was set way too high

> The volumetric sensor was mounted using velco. As the car heated up and cooled down when parked the adhesive gave up on the velcro and the sensor was hanging off

> The u-shaped part of metal which mounts the siren in the engine bay had been bent so the siren was only held in place by one bolt thus invalidating the Cat 1 status of the alarm

> Wires were not tidied up and were gathered up in the scuttle panel

Avoid Hyde Park Corner if you know what's good for you! Facking cowboys. My alarm works fine, but when you see the wiring the guy has done you have to ask why. andycowuk has seen the awesome job first hand and it is shoddy as fuck to say the least.

Avoid Liquid Ice in Yeovil, i know of three people who's alarm they completely botched up! Half the time the indicators would ramdomly go off and the dash went heywire!

Avoid CATS FOR CARS in Farnham Surrey, near the sports centre

-when i first drove the car after the install the imobiliser cut in whilst driving along!!!!! This caused a fuel leak and buggered the G40 sensor.

-they broke the heater controls whilst trying to sort the imobiliser problem out and denied any wrong doing

-couldn't fix the problem, by this time i didn't want them touching my car anymore so i cut my loses and went else where. I believe spreading as much bad news about these bodgers is payback!

Avoid ORPINGTON CAR STEREO in Poole - car went in for a clifford concept 500 and came back to me six late via VW stealership workshop. The alarm fitters couldnt get the car started. And I'm still getting false alarms!!

Avoid Auto Elite in staffordshire. They were supposed to be a good company and I used them as they did pvw's rallye project car.

They fitted a toad a101cl to my polo, and I had all sorts of problems, not with the alarm specifically though. It was their poor workmanship like the wiring to the door solenoids broke over time, causing the c/l not to work on that side. They also made a mess of the door membranes and the holes they drilled weren't protected well.

Avoid Hyde Park Corner if you know what's good for you! Facking cowboys. My alarm works fine, but when you see the wiring the guy has done you have to ask why. andycowuk has seen the awesome job first hand and it is shoddy as **** to say the least.

I (cough) used to work for them, but left after 7 months because i wasnt happy with how they wanted me to fit alarms, example... vehicle has alarm already installed into it which isnt working, i get sent down to fit new alarm, im told to leave that alarm in and 'chuck' in the new alarm in less than 2 hours (cat 1) No.no.no!!! Kept having arguments with the bosses over time fitting alarms and in the end i told them to stick it!! I have a motto which has gained me alot of clientele over the years, it is 'work on any car as if it was your own' Nuff said!

seems like more BAD fitters than good at the mo`

i used safe and sound in cheshire, i`d booked a week before but when i turned up they had no idea i was coming...

but they did the job and i know of 4 cars that they`ve done and the work was ok as far as i`m aware

I used gap security on my g60 as well and have had endless problems. They have been out so many times I can't be bothered any more. They now say it is problem with my car

Avoid Liquid Ice in Yeovil, i know of three people who's alarm they completely botched up! Half the time the indicators would ramdomly go off and the dash went heywire!

Im suprised about that mate, I worked there for a bit and i only ever had one clifford back and that was due to a dodgey tilt motion sensor. As a rule ant is a very competent alarm fitter. He fitted two cat ones on different corrados ive had before i worked there and theyve always been good. Maybe theyve gone down hill a bit mate?

SOUNDS OFF in Coulsdon, Surrey. My old dear went in to get a new stereo put in, he quoted her one price, then added on about 100 quid after he'd fitted it. And the electric windows were then buggered afterwards which he tried to claim his innocence, the lying git. I've heard loads more bad stories about this guy, so avoid at all costs (as it will cost you more!).

Agreed, Clive in SOUNDS OFF isn't the brightest of chaps.

He even wired up his own Clifford wrong which enabled him to start his car via remote start (a Honda NSX) which he left in gear and it careered into the rear of his shop.

Best avoid.

I can recommend Sounds Alarming in Wallington, though.

The boss there learnt Car Electrics on a Corrado, so is fairly knowledgable of them ;)

He even wired up his own Clifford wrong which enabled him to start his car via remote start (a Honda NSX) which he left in gear and it careered into the rear of his shop.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The previous owner of my Rado paid £350 in 2000 to have a Gemini alarm fitted. When my expansion tank cracked and poured water all over the alarm control box mr AA man found that the alarm was merely wired into the coil and nothing else!! Meaning that the removal of one wire and the replacement of another completely bypassed the alarm!

I used gap security on my g60 as well and have had endless problems. They have been out so many times I can't be bothered any more. They now say it is problem with my car

Heard that about GAP, they take ages to get an engineer out and say its not their fault and apparently can charge way too much for sub standard work.

Avoid CCA Aylesbury will update later when BT have sorted their connections out!

Ok Its 18mths since they fitted my Clifford alarm and I have used it properly about 4 times and each time it goes off!

The Bonnet pin's dead (and probably has been since the start) and the volumetric sensor doesn't want to work either (fitted under the rear ashtray, which I've been told by another Clifford fitter is completely the wrong place).

Am going to get it "serviced" soon but need a reputable Co in Herts/Essex... any suggestions?

If you can make it as far south as High Wycombe, I can't recommend The Sound Gallery highly enough. They've fitted 4 alarms (2 of them Cliffords) on various cars for me over the last 10 years and their workmanship & attention to detail is superb. They quote a price & stick to it even if, as with my Corrado, it takes over 5 hours to get it working perfectly.

01494 464670

Cheers NickRStorm They were the ones who told me it was fitted wrong! have used them in the past for stereos and should have gone back but (unfortunately) another Rado owner had recommended CCA!

Matt Wilde who drives a C in Thame recommended CCA to me. Only been in there for bits and bobs for installs, so never had chance to judge their work. They do come across as a little bit Kev (no offense Kev ;) ) if you know what I mean?

Matt Wilde who drives a C in Thame recommended CCA to me. Only been in there for bits and bobs for installs, so never had chance to judge their work. They do come across as a little bit Kev (no offense Kev ;) ) if you know what I mean?

Mate I wouldn't Touch them with TOADS by all means buy stuff but don't get them to fit.. anything..

I've re-fitted my stereo (got them to fit at same time as the alarm) so it actually goes in the dash and they bodged that so I have no memory function (have to do a wire swop)...