Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

VR pushed near to its limits

Gave the VR a good old caining up a mountain road in france, 2nd gear was mostly used because of the short straights and tight corners, hence hard acceleration and braking. Oil (with cooler) got to 128deg, nearly missed a turning at the end because the brakes faided badly (Zimmerman cross drilled, fast road pads :( ), when I parked up on full lock the engine nearly stalled and smoke was pooring off the disks which had gone a nice blue tint. This was on a day when it was 40deg air temp so not completely surprising.

Only thing to go wrong was I lost a speedline centre cap. Must have shattered cos All I had left was the metal ring and a few bits of plastic. Anyone got a spare?

Also tried the top speed on the way back.. managed 148mph GPS confirmed which I was pretty happy with. Felt well smooth and planted aswell.

Well that sounds like a day of destruction to the poor Corrado. Quite surprised about the disks though, thought they were good stuff? maybe it's the pads? I'd do an oil change and check the brakes if I were you as that sounds like a Track Day!

Yeah.. i'd give it a damn good service after that thrashing as well..

Also tried the top speed on the way back.. managed 148mph GPS confirmed which I was pretty happy with. Felt well smooth and planted aswell.

must have been on a private road of course :wink:

Umm, it was a piage which I assume have no speed limits because as long as you don't get to the next kiosk too quickly you're ok. :)

Roads are far better out there than here, even the milltek didn't rattle and crash as normal which was nice.

Will be servicing it after that, change the oil every 5k and money has been no object unfortunately so I think its pretty well looked after. After runs like that I remember why I like it so much.

Must admit I was hoping for abit more out of the brakes, felt fine up until then. Glad it didn't happen on a more critical corner with a few hundred foot drop. :| The pads are pagid fast road which I thought were supposed to be a good combination with those disks. Using Dot4, maybe it boiled?

What was the indicated speed on the speedo at 148mph?

Have you got braided hoses all round? If you have standard hoses, then they're the first thing to give and you end up with a very stodgy brake pedal.

yup, with Dinky here... Change the flexys to braided and the fluid to dot 5.1 and you'll notice the improvement... 8)

No, the speedo recons it was 160mph and the revs were a fraction off red line. I knew it was about 7mph out anyway at lower speeds, just got progressively inaccurate the faster I went.

I'll second dinkies and henster on the braided hoses, got mine for £35 or was it £45 from some stall at Inters but there is a great difference, i had the std size discs and hoses but changes to S3 drilled discs and goodridge and even when i drive like a tw@t , and that's often, i have never had fade since!

But that 5.1 is blood dear mind in't it!

Chris

I think the zimmerman disks are overated. Mine faded and eventually warped (even with dot 5 fluid and braided hoses). OE disks are definitely better quality.

OE are just not up to it these days, not for me anyway, what ever i did i still got fade and i tried a number of combinations as have others, you just need to get bigger discs up front, the 288mm ones are a great answer and readily available from golfs!

Chris

5.1 ain't that expensive.... You can get it from Halfords for a reasonable amount of cash/litre... 8)

Even with "uprated" discs and pads you've still go the same diameter disc being grabbed the same caliper. Maybe it's time you went BIG (assuming you've got room under your wheels!)

Think I'll uprate the brake lines and fluid first then, and look into getting bigger disks once these have worn out / warped / shattered. Haven't had them that long. Want to keep the standard 15" speedlines ideally. Saw a Golf R32 and the front disks on that looked huge.

that's none to shabby considering you won't need to change it again for another 5 years or so compared with the 2 years you're supposed to replace DOT4 after... ;)

Can the two types be mixed then as you bleed the brakes? If so are they different colours or something so you can tell whether the dot4 has completely gone?

you can happily mix DOT4 with DOT5.1... the odds are that the newer fluid will be somewhat clearer than the old stuff, or you could just keep on pumping until you've emptied (and topped up!) the reservoir a couple of times so you know that you've got it all out...

If you have ABS, the general consensus now is that you DON'T empty the ABS pump of fluid/allow the reservoir to become completely empty as bleeding the ABS pump is "a bit of a git..." :|

I was advised not to go for higher than DOT4 brake fluid as it eats away at the caliper seals or something like that.

that's only DOT5 'cos it was silicone based which would eat the rubber seals

DOT5.1 is fully compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluid and won't eat your seals... (but will still eat your paint, so be careful! ;) :lol: )

linky!

*edit* BETTER LINKY!

This is good info:

Minimum Specification Good Brand Min Spec

DRY WET DRY WET

DOT 3 205 Deg C 140 Deg C 220 Deg C 150 Deg C

DOT 4 230 Deg C 155 Deg C 260 Deg C 170 Deg C

DOT 5 260 Deg C 180 Deg C 270 Deg C 190 Deg C

DOT 5.1 260 Deg C 180 Deg C 270 Deg C 190 Deg C

Wet figures above show the drop in performance when the fluid has a certain water content (less than 3%). For example when DOT 5.1 is contaminated with 3% water (which is considered a lot) performs almost as well as basic DOT 3 in prime condition. The most important thing to do is regularly change your fluid - we suggest every three months but manufacturers suggest at least once every twelve months. After six months use a typical DOT 3 fluid may have had it's boiling point lowered from 205 degree's C to about 165 degree's C

But he lets him self down just after that by trying to get us to believe that an optical device used for viewing objects far below the surface of water is used in his research :lol:

what i mean is that he uses the word 'hydroscopic' instead of the word he should have used 'hygroscopic' which does actually describe what he's trying to teach, break fluid readily absorbing moisture, as from the atmosphere.

The dumbass!

I wish i had a degree and was educated to such a level where i could explain things wrong and have people believe me, instead, i have to be right all the time and people still take no notice!

Chris