Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

help! can't get home

Hi all

I'm stuck at work waiting for the RAC, but don't really fancy being towed 50 miles home.... :cry: :cry:

Car starts but then dies immediately - feels like a fuel delivery problem

Anyone got any other ideas or quick remedies?

cheers

Been there myself mate- prob the pump thats gone- you can sometimes get the fuel pump running again by clouting the top of the tank- prob won't get it running for more than a few mins but at least you'll identify the problem.

Cheers

mmmm, im in sals and would have poped down to bournemout to keep you company bud but gosports a bit far, sorry dude.

If you get really bored or totally stuck give me a bell on the mobi bud 07841347629

No pipes disconnected around the airbox? That's happened to me before... Does it just die immediately or just as it returns to idle?

Good luck,

Tom

Classic immobiliser blocked by a bad connection.

Drop the fuse/relay panel cover and the under dash cover on the drivers side. Up behind the headlight switch are a couple of black boxes. Follow the shiney black cable to the inboard plug connection on the bottom box of the stacked pair. Just slide the plug gently back & forth carefully cos of the fine pin connections. For longer term, spray the connector and box connection pins with WD40.

The connector has gone high resistance - VW bulletin from 1997 for all VWs made 1995 to 1997 fitted with the key immobilisers. Later cars got gold plated pins to overcome this as have the replacement parts.

Good luck

Classic immobiliser blocked by a bad connection.

Drop the fuse/relay panel cover and the under dash cover on the drivers side. Up behind the headlight switch are a couple of black boxes. Follow the shiney black cable to the inboard plug connection on the bottom box of the stacked pair. Just slide the plug gently back & forth carefully cos of the fine pin connections. For longer term, spray the connector and box connection pins with WD40.

The connector has gone high resistance - VW bulletin from 1997 for all VWs made 1995 to 1997 fitted with the key immobilisers. Later cars got gold plated pins to overcome this as have the replacement parts.

Good luck

Wow, spooky, guess what I changed today... The reader coil :lol:

I had the classic symptoms of starting the car, then it dying after a second or so.

I first thought it was the keys that were the problem, because my main key worked 95% of the time and the spare worked about 10%...

Got the keys recoded last week, and the car was actually worse! The main key worked about 50% of the time.. :mad:

Ordered a new reader coil, fitted it today, both keys work perfectly! Hallelujah

Only problem with the replacement coil is the connector isnt quite the same as the original one. you'll need to sand/file/saw off a plastic ridge thats on the side of the connector (it's there to prevent you putting the connector in the wrong way round, but it actually stops you from fiting the damn thing too!)

Costs about £33, or £30 if you're nice to mr $tealer. :lol:

Well, finally got home!

hope it starts in the morning....cheers for the help guys

In the end she started up on her own after a couple of hours

I can only suspect that its either the factory immobiliser or the fuel pump.

Its obviouslyan intermittent problem- is this consistent with immobiliser/fuel pump problems.

Do I have to replace the transponder in the key or the one in the steering column....? I've had a Clifford 500 installed over a year ago - I hope its nothing to do with this and is just the OE immobilser....

Will keep you updated

In the end she started up on her own after a couple of hours

I can only suspect that its either the factory immobiliser or the fuel pump.

Its obviouslyan intermittent problem- is this consistent with immobiliser/fuel pump problems.

Do I have to replace the transponder in the key or the one in the steering column....? I've had a Clifford 500 installed over a year ago - I hope its nothing to do with this and is just the OE immobilser....

I bet you a tenner it's the coil :wink:

It might be the keys needing recoding, but I doubt it. Mine would start-die-start-die-start-die.... then start properly after leaving it for a while

Transponder wont need changing, just the coil

joebloggsVR69, did you replace the coil yourself? Got any part numbers or tips to do this? cheers

Yep, easy to replace. Part number is 1H0 953 254 E

You need to remove the lower steering cowling, plus the trim above the drivers footwell.

Pic of the offending part attached. The ring goes around the ignition barrel, and the other end of the cable goes up near the back of the headlight switch

Thankyou kindly, joebloggsVR69, that's very helpful.....I'll let you know if I get any success.