Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

Washer jets

On my wiper/MFA stalk i normally just pull back the stalk to get the front washer jets to come on and the wipers automatically wipe 3 times then. But lately It'd only work sometimes, and recently it has stopped altogether. Now when I pull back, the washer jets dont spray and the wipers dont wipe. Is this a faulty stalk?

Anyone else had this problem?

Its an early 16v, and the stalk works in every other position, ie up, down and pushing away for rear wiper.

Sounds like the microswitch for the wash has gone tits up.

Can get new switches and its not hard to change, or you could see if anyone is breaking an early valver and has one they can send.

It's worth noting that the early style stalks are the same as the Mk2 Golfs and Passats, so should be cheap and easy to find.

Do the mkII golf and passats have the MFA switch as well? is it just GTi golfs or all mkII golfs?

Ok, found some time to finally have a look at this. Took off horn, then steering wheel, then disconnected all connecting wires to stalks, slid off indicator stalk, then wiper stalk.

Inspected and thoroughly cleaned the faulty switch contacts and connected up the wires to check it. Hey Presto I've got wash/wipe again!!! Slid on MFA and wiper stalks, connected wires, put on wheel and finally horn button.

Nice and easy job, small amount of time, large amount of self-satisfaction.