Sign in to follow this  
Ad's 16v

Navigation Systems

its all about the pioneerx1 tooo expensive though

tomtom is good had a demo one from work a few weeks back

Heard nothing but good things about the TomTom Go which I believe you can get on eBay for about £370 all in?

I've got TOMTOM5 on an ipaq and use it interchangeable between my 2 cars.

It's BRILLIANT and very up to date. Apparently its the most up to date sat nav in the country

I have used a TomTom Go for about 6 months - pretty accurate but does sometimes send you the long way round, you have to ignore about 4commands to turn around before it will re-route you. I would not be without mine now but I always carry a map as well

These tomtom's are just a power up and play thing, not really an integrated system but a short cut system.

I have the Alpine system which uses the 16:9 head unit screen to display on and has all it's functions integrated with the hifi system, i fitted the head unit and nav drive unit, it wasn't hard and works really well, saved me from being lose a few times!

Chris

The old man has a VDO cdplayer/nav thing. Only one slot and has a small screen showing map and shouts out directions.

Not cheap like think the little tom tom thing would be better.

I have tom tom on my ipaq and works a treat, but does sometimes send you the long way!

the handy thing with the tomtom is that its easily interchangable between cars,unlike the alpine units etc..

It may not be a completly built in unit but you can hardwire it in like I have with mine then either use the windscreen mount or you can get the no holes dash mount and the ipag holder will screw onto that giving you a very neat mounted solution.

As for it sending you the long way round, check your prefences as to the routes it takes you as it usually favours motorways even if the A roads are more direct but a change of the settings overcomes it. If not use the Alternative route feature as that will also change away form such routes to more direct ones.

Finally the Tomtom5 upgrade is also a big improvement on these things and with the traffic feature that you subscribe to giving you traffice updates on your route (providing you have an Ipaq that has bluetooth and a phone with bluetooth and GPRS) it makes it I feel better than 99% of other sat nav systems out there (and yes I have had use of alot!)

The TomTom 500 and 700 also have bluetooth connectivity to your mobile. Gives you touch screen access to you contacts and provides handsfree. As I could do with handsfree I am really tempted.

Wow, cheers guys. I was looking at the pioneer inbuilt DVD system that car audio security have on offer as an ex demo but i don't know if it's any good or not?

I have a Pioneer Avic-X1 and its really good. You can select from multiple routes, the ETA is usually spot on and its more accurate than TomTom as it uses vehicle speed data in conjunction with the GPS to work out inclines.

Single DIN installation with a hide away box that sits nicely under the passenger seat. Will auto re-route for traffic as it uses the RDS-TMC system only thing it wont do is show you where the speed scameras are :?

Also shows your lateral and acceleration G forces as a novelty!!

As you are in Frome if you want to come and have a look at mine drop me a PM.