Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Woah there Stealers

Thought it might be a good idea to get a replacement key cut as I only have the one.

Stealers reckon 15 for the key (fair doos) but 45 quid to match the chip to the imobiliser??????

I wasn't aware of one on the car other than on the microscan alarm.

am I being Duped??? also he tried to tell me that my car although registered in 92 had a 93 chassis? is this cowboy or were there some super efficient production techniques?

It is true that the 93+ 'dubs had chip keys which means they have to program the key.

However, I didn't think that any of the 'rados needed keys programming and even if they do, my local stealers quoted me £35 (I guess +VAT) for both the key and the programming on my Mk3 Golf key.

Yeah you can't make a chassis in 93 and register it in 92, LOL!

95 Corrados with the CP ECU have to have immobilser keys but the prices sound steep...must be the 30% C Tax they add on.

well i read somewhere that reading was one of the highest charging places outside london for main dealer servicing.

might just phone around some others.

but surely if it doesnt need a chip then there is no match to be made.

Cost me £22 for a new key cut and chip programmed when I first had my valver about 2.5 years ago. Local shop did it.

Local shop did it.

log_1.jpg

Locla shop, you say?

Had my keys reprogrammed at the $tealers recently, 5 minute job and they charge £53 for the pleasure :x

ZippyVR6: Prise your current keys apart, if there's a little metallic rectangular block in the corner, then the $tealers are probably right

The year code is the letter in the chassis number WVW ZZZ (insert year letter) W123456. The year code runs from August I think it is, thats why everyone gets wet pants about the MK1 Campaign and EW chassis numbers.

90 spec Golfs came out in late 89.

Gavin