Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

Xenon Headlights

Anyone done this and got pics?

I love the look of them on the audi's and bm's and quite fancy doing the mod on my VR6.

Failing that...'cause they are expensive, what about just the bulbs? does anyone know if they make a serious difference?

I don't think its legal to do this conversion in the UK, something to do with where you mount the HUD (The self levelling thing?) unit.

Zarman on here has done it with Audi A4 lights, but he is over in Canada IIRC

For your car to pass it's MOT Xenon headlights have to have high-pressure washer jets and be self-levelling.

And yup, zarman has done it and they look super-duper, but as you say, he's in Canada...

Proper HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights don't use bulbs as such, they have something that's more like a flourescent tube in them, but err round.

The bulbs people sell claiming to be Xenon are just normal bulbs filled with Xenon gas that does bugger all apart from cost you more...

Ive got a mate who gets HID kits, let me no if yr intrested & i'll put you in touch...

The gas in a bulb does make a difference Dinkus, it alters the temprature the filament runs at. That also governs the colour of the light that it gives out.

Gavin

VAG Parts do a retro fit kit for the corrado (H4) not sure about the MOT side of things £280 for the set. I might go for this mod come Oct/Nov once ive passed the MOT :)

You need a yaw sensor and a controller/ECU to govern the self levelling, which needs CAN-BUS technology.....so I doubt any of the kits are 100% Xenon compliant. Some of the headlight levelling motors for some cars cost more than that entire £280 kit, so you've got to ask yourself.....

Re VAG PArts one, its a generic kit that fits everything, one of mym ates fitted it to a mk4 and its great light

does anyone else find it mega annoying when being followed by a car with these lights?

I always think they are flashing me....