Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

B & M Gear shifter

I'm thinking of buying the B&M quick shift for my VR as i hate the length of throw on the standard linkage.

Is anyone here using one of these?

I want to keep the original gaitor and gear knob, does anyone know if this works with the B&M

Thanks

Yep.. just makes the gear stick stand about another half an inch / inch or so taller.

My honest opinion, having driven cars with both, is not to bother. I found the B&M to be incredibly notchy and frustrating to use, and having driven kevhaywire's and 2cc's VR6's in recent weeks, i'd definately stick with the standard shifter in the future should I return to Corrado ownership!

Spend the money on some good gearbox oil instead, if you haven't had it flushed / replaced already.. will feel much better :)

I have to disagree with ya Jim, I had a short shift on my G60 and now have one on my VR, I rate a nicely working short shift as the best mod I have ever done on the Corrado. The standard length of shift is comparable to a transit van!

The B&M shift seems to have a bad name. I have always used a modified standard lever, with a bit of fine tuning and some MT90 its lovely. I'm using a diesel keek cross short shift too. I have also left the weight off which lightens the shift, it now clicks into gear.

Hm.. well I guess I gotta agree to disagree with you Andy.

I lost count of the amount of times I went in to get my quickshift checked over by Stealth because I wasn't happy with it.. Vinces end verdict was basically "Its a B&M - get used to it!" - I had it realigned a number of times, had the gearbox oil flushed, and it still never ever felt right.

Again having driven a pair of VR's in the past few weeks, I realised that the throw on the gearshift was nowhere near as long as I expected it to be compared to the quickshift.. and now i'd personally steer well clear of one in the future.

I have to say that a quich shift is one of the best mods you can do for the money.

If you have the power you need a shorter shift, in a normal VR there's less need unless you drive enthusiastically but Jim don't slate them just cos you alone don't like them, plus it's something you want and like or just don't.

Chris

Jim don't slate them just cos you alone don't like them, plus it's something you want and like or just don't.

WTF? Thats like saying "Don't big them up if just you alone like them" - I was just giving my personal opinion on them having tried both setups in the Corrado.

i've made about half a dozen now of varying lengths and by modding the std stick theres no extra height but just a tighter feel and shorter throw to the gearchange - i think MY shortshift xcx is the one to go for :)

I have to say that a quich shift is one of the best mods you can do for the money.

Did you mean to type quiche shift there mate? Interesting concept 8)

I'm with Jim, quick shifts are over rated. Unless exceptionally worn and f'cked, the standard shift is fine imo. VW shortened the throw on the MK4 and it's a notchy, unsatisfying shift because of it, again, imo.

VW shortened the throw on the MK4 and it's a notchy, unsatisfying shift because of it, again, imo.

Indeed.. one of the only things I really dislike about my MK4 in fact.

Im gonna jump in on the " Brilliant mod for the mooney " boat......i had a BBM on my 8v, had a homemade shortshift on the first g60, and have standard on my current g60 and i can say WITHOUT DOUBT that the BBM was deffinatly the best...cant wait to get one on my new 'c'.

i see mod is thicker than water!

The quiche shift is :lol: is the pie eaters keep fit shift version, i indeed meant to type quick shift, you can vary the length of the shift to individual liking, not just a one position situation.

H8RRA has one on his that is too short for me and i don't like it but the one i left on my car for Chrishill is just the ticket and isn't unduly notchy in any way but takes the quiche out of the shift.

Chris

lol.. this place just gets more and more dodgy every day!! :D

i'll let ya play with my knob next time I see ya Jim! you'll like it i'm sure....

!!!!!!!???????

i hope you'll thrust it forward to see how far it'll travel....

It's just getting silly now.

I wonder how many gays there are on this forum apart from Kev nice colour Gaywire erm... Haywire :lol:

Chris

ask chrisky nosky - mines the smallest he's ever come across - but its very stiff - too stiff - i was thinking about chopping it and enlarging it to make it better and able to thrust forward further and a bit floppier - chris doesn't like playing with mine at all and prefers to play with his own floppy one that thrusts a long way.

just copy what this guy does http://www.dieselgeek.com.

Made my own short shift, had it break, modified it, refined it, happy with it, but it was ugly (the car was a stripped out mk2 vr6), so I bought a B&M.

I can honeslty say, without a shadow of a doubt that this was the single, most frustrating, and dissapointing item I have ever bought. Absolute sh1te.

Looks great, really well made, but a poor design, that just doesn't work.

The cable fell off it more times than I can remember, and I even emailed B&M and got them to change their design as the clips they were suppliying were utter crap (no idea why they didn't make it so you could use the excellent VW clips).

Avoid at all costs. make your owm ,or if you can't, ask H8RRA or anyone else who can make them.

i agree too, the worsed item anyone could buy... they said short shift, not no shift! Im going to change back to standard, just need all the bits to do that