Sign in to follow this  
CharlieHorse

short term insurance

Can it be had anywhere? I'm not in the country much at the mo and it seems like a waste to pay for a full year and only use the car for a couple of months, if that. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure that elephant charge pro-rata, so if you cancel the policy after a month or 2, you get back 10/12ths of what you paid (assuming you pay for a year's policy initally)

Usually, most insurers give you back some miserly amount such as 40% after a couple of months :roll:

I insured my corrado for a month last year with elephant, then got back a hefty amount (11/12ths)

Best to ask em if they do charge pro-rata, and ask how much you get back after cancelling x-months in, just to be sure. :wink:

Try Mayfair Insurance / Performance, they do 3 months policys, it's about 150 for 3 months but thats on the manchester postcode ....

They never pay back pro-rata unless it's a very special policy. Most policies, even if you're paying monthly, state that you'll have a 50% refund after the first month or something ridiculous, even if you cancel 31 days after the start of the policy. Very expensive way of doing things. ..

What about a limited milage 12 month policy?

Mine is insured for 3000 miles per year at the moment. It cost £220 TPFT.

At least then the car is permanently insured, and you build up NCD.

It might not be applicable if the 'rado is your only car and you're out of the country, but I know you can add an additional car to your existing policy for a few days.

I think Tesco do a day at a time kind of thing, so you can be insured 3 days week :-D At least I think they used to. (£19 per day rings a bell)

They never pay back pro-rata unless it's a very special policy. Most policies, even if you're paying monthly, state that you'll have a 50% refund after the first month or something ridiculous, even if you cancel 31 days after the start of the policy. Very expensive way of doing things. ..

Have to disagree with you there.

When I bought my Corrado, I had to get insurance urgently as HIC :mad: :2gunfire: never bothered to call me back to start a policy....

So, left in the lurch, I had to get insurance elsewhere. I paid for a years policy with Elephant for something like £800, then quit the policy after 5 weeks.

I got back around £720.

But 99% of insurers dont pay back pro-rata.

I'm not sure if Elephant have changed their refund policy recently.