Sign in to follow this  
DANG60

Transmission losses

Do any of you guys know what is the norm as regards to transmission losses. On my g60 the difference between the power at the fly wheel to the power at the wheels is nearly 40bhp. Just curious as this seems quite alot. :roll:

The losses in my transmission is 31bhp, to many I think. I hope that this wil be better with the 16v AGC gearbox is stead of het standard G60 ATB.

Is it? Did you measure it by using an engine dyno, then a wheel dyno and calculating the difference? If not it's an estimate at best .. 30 - 50 bhp is not uncommon ..

The staded losses should be in the region of 13% from what i've read and been told by people like Vince at Stealth, I reference a VR but wouldn't have thought other Marques would be much if any different!

Chris

209.5 Bhp at flywheel, 166.5 Bhp at wheels, so a 43 Bhp loss, AFAIK this is completely normal. And to lessen this loss you could spend a shed load of cash for minimal improvement!

"Arguments derive from MY opinions being different to YOURS....how boring the world would be without belligerent people...."

Well said. :)

I don't like to see people chasing ghosts, that's all. Trying to lower your transmission losses based on a *guess* as to what they are is kinda pointless, imho. Okay, maybe "guess" is overstating the inaccuracy, but it's an empirical system that allows you to infer roughly what the transmission losses are. Sure it may work consistently (I've read the story Vince put up about his faith in his rolling road), but consistency does not automatically mean accuracy. It might be consistently wrong .. Without an engine dyno you'll never really know for sure.

You don't have to be an expert to see that this is plainly true. The experts would say their results are "good enough" though, no doubt.

No point in arguing about it though..

can i ask why it's measured in a percentage, how does the amount of power lost throught the transmission change depending on the power of the engine. wouldn't it just drain a certain amount say 40bhp regardless of what power you are running

Yes Dr, I would agree with what you are saying there, and anyway I'm getting slightly peeved with people wanting to know what their Bhp/torque is all the time. If you have stuck a turbo on your car the fact that it kicks butt is proof enough that it has made a difference, by how much in numbers surely doesn't matter?

It reminds me of people that are constantly changing the drivers on their graphics cards just to gain a few points on 3DMarks! If it runs all your games smoothly then what fecking difference does a score on some benchtest make?!

my figures were from dyno printouts of the car when previous owners have rolling roaded it. Its obviously about rite. woz talking to some one with a ihi ibiza and his car didnt loose as much as mine albeit it will have a different gearbox, it just got me thinking. :D

Keep thinking, got nowt against that, but keep yer wallet in yer pocket ...

Rolling roads give you an estimate of transmission losses that's all.

DANG60: Fair enuff mate, and don't take my posts too seriously as I'm joking most of the time, and for some reason I type with a more tempestuous manner compared to when I converse verbally. :lol: