Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Scirocco

I always wanted a Mk II Scirocco (B.C) but ended up with a Mk II Golf Driver instead because of outrageous insurance quotes especially for the 1.8.

It's funny though as time's gone by I've now got more affection for the Mk I Scirocco. Maybe it has more character and resemblance to the C..?

Well the MkI Scirocco was designed by Giugiaro and built by Karmann and then VW thought they could do a better job on the MkII and thats why it doesn't really have any character to it.

I quite like the Scirocco, a neighbour has a mint GT and it does still look very good for the year, but not a patch on the C IMO which has exactly the same line running down the length as the original Scirocco.

Brand new (almost) - runs only 8 miles a year to it's MoT and back.

Totally original.

Featured in The Golf - February 2003.

In store but I really must get it out for Eric at Stanford 2006. :-)

But first 15,000 were done in 1990 - 1991.

Project when I got my hands on it was to replace anything that was damaged or rusted - which was very little as it had never really gone anywhere other than to the shops by the lady owners.

nice....its great to know that thers examples like this still out there....what doies it drive like then if it only does 8m per year?

what doies it drive like then if it only does 8m per year?

Fine, just as put away from the previous year. Stored in an air conditioned large brick box.

Do have a daily driver S of the same age. It's actually faster than the daily S dispite the K-jet mods on the daily driver S. Hmmmm. And the daily has a recently overhauled engine and skimmed head and still it isn't quite as good. Had 5 Sciroccos, 3 from new, and none have been the same, even these two and the previous K-Jet from 1990 all drive differently yet were all made within a 3 months period at Karmann.

When I got it, the engine wouldn't "go", brakes were giving braking distances of 50 feet difference, hairy one day as I shot into a roundabout cos I forgot which car I was in. Found the cam shaft spocket drive wheel had been fitted wrong way round at the factory. So valves were retard a fair amount and so the lady owner could never have thrashed it even if she want to. And this also meant the vacuum servo was not as strong in it so the brakes weren't quite as good. All sorted now :-)

Next public appearance - 16th September, 1 day only. Thats it for this year. :wink: