Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Opinions or advice on MK4 Golf 2.8V6 4MOTION ?

Hi all,

A mate of mine is seriously thinking about buying one of these instead of a Mk4 1.8T Anniversary as they are too difficult to get hold of for sensible money. He has seen a few MK4 Golf 4MOTIONS around for £8000-£10000, fully loaded with leather heated seats, traction control, xenons, 16" wheels and 204bhp as standard.

Any thoughts or opinions please ? In fact has anyone on here ownded or driven one ?

Cheers

If he gets it will be getting APR or AMD remapped, flowed throttle body, induction kit and Milltek exhaust, should see about 250 BHP I'd imagine with these mods. Then should be slammed on H&R coilovers and either Anniversary / R32 bodykit and lights :D

IMO the Golf 4-Motion is one of the most boring cars I have ever driven, obviously mods should improve this, as they would on many other cars.

I like both the Anni and R32 kit.. a mate has a 1.9 TDI Anniversary and I certainly wouldn't turn it down.. looks lovely in standard trim!

I dunno if he has or not but get him registered at http://www.ukmkivs.net - lots of nice 4Motions been up for sale atm.

And don't discount Bora 4Motions either.. seem to go for a lot less than the Golfs despite having equal equipment levels and same drivetrain.

If he gets it will be getting APR or AMD remapped, flowed throttle body, induction kit and Milltek exhaust, should see about 250 BHP ? then slammed on H&R coilovers and either Anniversary / R32 bodykit and lights :D

doubtful if he'd see 250bhp from just those mods.............afterall the R32 only makes 247bhp from an enlarged capacity

Didn't ask for opinions on whether he would make 250bhp from the mods he has planned IF he buys it, just wanted information and opinions on the CAR ITSELF in terms of performance, handling, reliability, problems etc. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the title....(however these are projected figures and similar figures have been achieved already on THESE cars with THESE mods)

Cheers

Didn't ask for opinions on whether he would make 250bhp from the mods he has planned IF he buys it, just wanted information and opinions on the CAR ITSELF in terms of performance, handling, reliability, problems etc. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the title....(however these are projected figures and similar figures have been achieved already on THESE cars with THESE mods)

Cheers

In which case, you shouldn't have asked the bloody question then:

should see about 250 BHP ?

One or two of these Aberdeen guys could cause a fight in an empty room. :agrue:

Leaves a bad taste. Anything the rest of the forum can do to settle your differences?

Account deletion.

Seriously.. take the bickering to PM.. we're bored of seeing it.

Right, I've already deleted Roddy's reply and I really can't be bothered with you Scots fighting over petty details yet again so I'm locking the thread.

Take some deep breaths, go look at the nice countryside for a bit then post when you've grown up a bit eh?

I just want to add something, sorry!

When I went through my "Should I sell? put it back to standard phase" I tested a number of machines whilst hunting for a worthy C replacement and the 4 mo was one of them.

I actually liked it and I also like my mate's chipped and suspensioned MK4 1.8T. People shouldn't label the MK4 as a wobbly, lardy heap of cr@p until they've tried a sorted one. They really are VERY good. Sure the standard ones are way too much of a compromise biased to comfort, but they are very tunable.

I helped my mate setup his MK4 with Neuspeed ABRs, Eibachs and Konis etc and it easily tags along with my C in the twisties, I mean that....and his 223lb/ft means he's also pushing my C along on the straights too, but my charger will change all that :lol:

Anyway, the 4 mo engine sounds a lot crisper and is more musical than the 12V and it's MUCH torquier low down. It's a curious car though, you get in and right from idle it pulls hard and then all of a sudden it goes flat at the top end, so overall, it's no quicker than the 12V but it's far nicer to drive at lower rpms, it's creamy smooth and willing. I think dumping the variable plenum would help matters at the top end, or a charger 8)

Grip is excellent, handling is plain and the steering feedback is diluted to the point of being almost non existent. Still a good car, I'd have one. And the build quality makes the C feel like a 20 year old Peugeot 205 by comparison.

Yes Kev I agree with a lot of what you are saying and the one I drove was standard so I can't comment on a modded version, although the build quality factor which is basically a comfort thing is what I think makes cars feel so sterile, why can't we still have the feel of the road through the wheel? This is what makes the C so enjoyable to drive, and if that is due to a lesser build quality then I'm all for it!

dinkus quoth:

I really can't be bothered with you Scots fighting over petty details

Racist, dinks! :wink: - The kilted heavies are on their way down - sporrans full of porridge at the ready - to give you a good seeing to!

Yeah it seems the more work VAG put into their cars, the number the steering gets. I was reading Evo on the train last week and at a press launch of the new Audi S4, it seemed only the Brits have been complaining about Audi's dull & detached steering!! I can't believe the rest of the world, and Audi, thought it was fine. Anyway, VAG took it onboard and they have 'spiced' up the steering feel and it's about 80% there apparently. Firmer bushes used I suspect.

The MK5 Golf GTI has decent feedback though, but it's still not as talkative as the C's.

The C does have a unique and rewarding feel to it, agreed.

sporrans full of porridge at the ready - to give you a good seeing to!

Eeek, that paints an interesting picture :lol:

dinkus quoth:

I really can't be bothered with you Scots fighting over petty details

Racist, dinks! :wink: - The kilted heavies are on their way down - sporrans full of porridge at the ready - to give you a good seeing to!

:lol: You know what I meant ;) Looking forward to the hot porridge tho...

kevhaywire said:

the build quality makes the C feel like a 20 year old Peugeot 205 by comparison

Oi! Leave it out, kev - my 14.5 year old Pugit 205 - is immaculate and well built. :wink:

Only thing to break (twice) is one of little plastic hooks into which parcel shelf locates.

Would not buy Peugeot now, though.

wow just had a quick look on the trader website, theres a blue bora 4motion with a vf superchager, all uprated gear for 8999!

I bet thats class!

craigowl, LOL, things may not necessarily fall of as such, but it's just the general feeling of fragility that 205s had, I mean look at the girth of the A & B pillars in the 205 compared to the Corrados! I really wouldn't want to crash in one.

CoxyLaad, I saw a 70K 4 Mo Golf for £7K a couple of weeks ago. 9 to 10K is far too much for them imo.... but it was the top of the range MK4 (prior to the R32) and people tend to ask a bit more for them.

kevhaywire said:

A & B pillars in the 205 compared to the Corrados! I really wouldn't want to crash in one.

Yes - I try not to think about that one.

There was a time where every couple of weeks or so you would read about people in 205gtis slamming into trees only to become trapped inside as petrol from the injectors sprayed playfully onto the hot engine to start a blazing funeral pyre.

God, that's sick - Im gonna have to sell it now!

Both cars you have craigowl are wise buys.

The 205 will do bonkers milage,seen a few on contract hire do 250k

the gearbox will go first though.

As for the Storm 8)