Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Big thanks to 2cc & Yandards

I won't go into too much detail, mainly becuase i still don't have the technical knowledge to, but suffice to say Chris and Yan have gone massively out of their way to help me out. :oops: :oops:

Sacrificing 2 1/2 weekends and some very late nights and humouring my low mechanical IQ the whole time, my drivers seat is now a much better place to be! 8)

Nothing like a few days bolt rounding to make some good friends (rather than loose them i hope!)

Thanks really doesn't cut it I know, but your both on my xmas card list thats for sure! :wink:

2 & 1/2 weekends! what did they do?

yeah we want a list :-)

Please, I'm not sure if that kind of thing is going to be appropriate on a public forum. Saxo drivers might be watching or something :lol:

It was a pleasure mate :D

Hows the exhaust still making you grin?

Ditto, anytime matey.

Good breakfast too.

:)

We fitted new axel bushes, shocks and springs and the miltek.

Due to VAG's great servicing, we had to drill out the front strut! Then chop it half to get the old spring out because I have the later top cups that dont fit the HRs, then order the new cups and pul it all out again.

VAG had also rounded off the alen bolts on the compensator so we had to push one of the axel bush bolts through and chop the end off and then poke it back the wrong way to get the beam off!

Somone had welded the exhaust up too! But i have to say the whole system was date stamped 4/94, hows that for build quality!

and the axel bushes were not fun but that a story on its own.

Front mount didnt get a look in.

Unfortunately one of the new TA's as nacked so thats coming out again!

Also im getting huge backfires on the overun and 14mpg all of a sudden, but the pinking has gone!

Car feels a lot more lively with the zorst change i have to say though!

NickVR6 said:

Somone had welded the exhaust up too! But i have to say the whole system was date stamped 4/94, hows that for build quality!

dr_mat is a great fan of oe exhausts, I have always noticed. :salute:

Aye, everyone seems to complain that their VW exhaust has rusted away and that you should get a SS one as it'll last longer.

But TBH, 10+ years for a standard exhaust isn't exactly bad...

Having said that, I do rather like the noise and looks of my Magnex :D

Ahem, as its now daylight and my brain is working slightly better; it was actually one Sunday and last weekend to do the work listed.

As Nick said we hit a problem with the brake compensator on the first Sunday and the spring discs for the front shocks were too small so we knew it was going to be a return visit. Also blead the rear brakes, there is a photo on this forum somewhere..

I would like to point out that we changed the fuel filter on my valver too. ('How to' coming your way soon Dom)

Spent some serious time sorting out some 'lurve' photos for CW's thread too.

bad fuel consumption and backfiring after fitting an exhaust? that'll be a disconnected/damaged lambda sensor then... ;)

Didnt touch the lambda Hen. Well, i did actually touch it and looked at it and thought, mmm nice wonder what that does!

Might explain my pinking before too?

Kev mentioned possible hole in the flexi joint confusing the lam?

If you read the details on an info sheet that comes with a new Lambda probe it tells you not to touch it or use a multimeter with less than 10mega ohms resistance to test it or it will break!

Chris

If you read the details on an info sheet that comes with a new Lambda probe it tells you not to touch it or use a multimeter with less than 10mega ohms resistance to test it or it will break!Chris

In fairness I think you'll find that refers to the actual probe, not the part external to the exhaust pipe :|

damn, I replied to this yesterday, but my internet connection fell over again... :roll:

Right, just 'cos you've not touched the lambda or it's wiring, doesn't mean that you haven't upset it by moving the exhaust system while fitting the new bits... ;) The wiring gets somewhat fragile with the heat off the exhaust and simply moving it further than it normally moves can cause the wires to crack, break or just loose connectivity... All I'm saying is to check it out 'cos it sounds like a lambda sensor fault to me... ;)

Ah. OK Henny, hadn't picked up on that.

But the pipes separated off the cat real easy, no rough treatment needed and the cat wasn't disturbed at all. So I'd confidently say that it will get jarred far harder than any we may have given it with any driving on our fantastic UK road surfaces - not!

Still, be interesting to see what Vince finds wrong.

as you lower the pipework to get it off the cat, you lower the end of the cat MUCH lower than it would normally drop, which is where the cables become damaged... (that's what happened to mine when I did the engine swap the other week... ;) )

Everyone talking about my car, i feel kinda proud!

It did drop slightly mommentarily but 2cc stuck a suport under it the whole time we worked on it.

As most things on the car its on 123,000 and 11yrs so it aint done bad! I expect henny you are right, after that much abuse and heat those wires are probably as brittle as glass by now!