Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Holy Mother of.... how sexy is this??!

can't believe i've only just spotted this. The exhaust manifold for the turbo is a mint looking piece if kit. Who makes it?

I have to agree with mrbeige it’s a bit of overkill, I don’t see the point in putting such detail into hi spec performance engines that are not used to half their potential.

Respect due for the effort + detail but it’s a waste if its only ever going mince about looking pretty on the back of a trailer.

Lee, I think it's an EIP setup....

Baz, agreed, but it's nice to know the humble VR can look that nice if so desired. :)

I wouldnt regard the VR as humble - one of the best sounding VW engines of all time IMO :)

Humble perhaps to the lambo V10 :D

Lee, I think it's an EIP setup....

ATP, means binning the std inlet manifold which i'm not keen. Basically its the same kit was fitted to dubsports 4x4 VRT corrado. Ordered the VF mounts this week, getting to the stage now where i've got to commit to a turbo, plan the parts i want to use and start collecting bits.

You doing it yourself Lee?

Chris

Really don't know. I'll be taking the engine out/stripping it down myself and doing all the prep, not sure i'm up to the build up. Every VR T i've heard about has caused the own a lot of grief, if i do it myself and it goes wrong i'm knackered. Thing is VR T's usually go massively over budget and i certainly couldn't afford to give a company a blank cheque. I'm hoping a couple of friends will help me out as for kit and i'm adamant that i won't buy an off the shelf kit. Sometimes you just have to start something and see what happens.

Cool, we can expect your garage floor to be covered with chromed parts then soon? :)

How about sourcing a shagged 2.8 motor to work on instead? Try and get an OBD2 motor from a late Golf (has the later MK4 pads etc), get it bored to take the 2897cc overbore Mahle pistons, get the rods offset bushed 1mm to drop the CR to 8.5:1, use a steel VW gasket and that's your block done. Give the head a quick remachine but don't skim it, it throws the cam timing out.

You can of course use forged pistons but they cost a bomb and don't last much longer than 80K in VR applications apparently, and oil consumption can be higher.

If you can find a machine shop with a tiltable machining bed, that's your 15 degree boring sorted, about £20 a bore on average. You can hone it yourself with a drill & hone cluster cheaply. If you're prepared to put the donkey work in, you can do this on budget no problem.

If you source the turbo kit from the states, watch out for the servo clearance as most are designed for LHD only.

You'll need an inline pump to supplement the standard one. A UR quattro one will do and Pacet do some high flow ones too. Injectors etc should come in the kit.

Fit it all, then wheel it down to AmD and see Geoff for a remap.

Then all you need to do is see how long the clutch and driveshafts last :lol:

Sometimes you just have to start something and see what happens.

Hope you prep plan will be more thought out then that Lee! :nuts:

Chris

Cool, we can expect your garage floor to be covered with chromed parts then soon? :)

How about sourcing a shagged 2.8 motor to work on instead? Try and get an OBD2 motor from a late Golf (has the later MK4 pads etc), get it bored to take the 2897cc overbore Mahle pistons, get the rods offset bushed 1mm to drop the CR to 8.5:1, use a steel VW gasket and that's your block done. Give the head a quick remachine but don't skim it, it throws the cam timing out.

You can of course use forged pistons but they cost a bomb and don't last much longer than 80K in VR applications apparently, and oil consumption can be higher.

Fit it all, then wheel it down to AmD and see Geoff for a remap.

Then all you need to do is see how long the clutch and driveshafts last :lol:

Considered starting with a 2.8 block overbored with pistons but the guys on vortex with VR-T's advised me to keep it is simple with factory pistons and capacity. Spoke to Jeff Web and he said the same thing and added that its better to start with an engine with a few miles on it and strengthen the bottom end. I wasn't keen on the spacer plate method for lowering compression but most agree its the way to go for the bhp i want. Aim isn't monster power but reliablity and quality of finish. 300bhp+ is a bonus but i'm not bothered if it only makes 250bhp. Ian Birch is coming to tatton on sunday so i'll get him talking, specially as Jeff Seddon is bring B16 DUB down.

Both EIP and ATP (there are also a few other less well-known companies offerin g kits) do VR6 turbo kits in various stages:

http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/vwa2a3stage1vr6turbo.html (330BHP) £2500 all in

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... Code=VVWTK

(250BHP) £1550 all in or 300BHP (stage 2) for £1950

Even if one was to get the kit and get a custom manifold made you would still be getting a bargain kit IMO (both kits include intercooler, turbo, piping, software, chip, external wastegate, blow-off valve etc, etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers