Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

So what we saying there then, it will be like having a piddly small pulley for low end as well as like having a larger pulley for up top kinda thing???

Dull :lol:

They're just gonna be more efficient and easier to setup for the OE market. Probably competing for business for projects the like VW's little 1.4 TSI lump.

For us modders, it ain't going to blow any skirts up. We will always be wanting real superchargers and big turbos :D

what size bore exhausts is everyone running?

http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/produc ... t=0&page=2 and http://techtonicstuninginc.com/main/ind ... cts_id=664

3in custom system built onto the car from the turbo back. One silencer. No cat, except for MOT time.

I'll definitely pootle along and try get a DG remap on the VR before then. And if the numbers don't pan out and you're short of cars, could throw my VR on the rollers Kev?

I'd be up for watching and would like a run if it helps numbers. Had a modification that I'd like to see the result of. :)

Had a modification that I'd like to see the result of. :)

oh yes?!?...

i'm still well up for this - not sure if i'll be able to make the 18th/19th though as i may be out of the country by then...

if i can make it then you can almost certainly count me in - naturally will keep you updated as and when :)

3in custom system built onto the car from the turbo back. One silencer. No cat, except for MOT time.

Yep... same here. A couple of pics:

How it arrived

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Welded up downpipe

IMG_0732.jpg

Mock up

IMG_0820.jpg

Final stages

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

I have a pic of it all finished somewhere, I'll try and dig it out :)

Thanks for that, only difference to mine is the centre silencer section. Is that Jetex custom build bits as I didnt think there centre silencer would fit when I looked? Im getting the C2 cat welded in at the moment.

If it is do the end connections slip over the 3in pipe or did you need adaptors?

Is that Jetex custom build bits as I didnt think there centre silencer would fit when I looked?

Yep Jetex custom build pipes, its a tight fit in the tunnel but as long as the mounts and hangers are well positioned and good and strong then the silencer doesnt move.

If it is do the end connections slip over the 3in pipe or did you need adaptors?

You can order pipe parts with flared ends to fit over the 3" pipe or they do joiners.

Is that Jetex custom build bits as I didnt think there centre silencer would fit when I looked?

Yep Jetex custom build pipes, its a tight fit in the tunnel but as long as the mounts and hangers are well positioned and good and strong then the silencer doesnt move.

You can order pipe parts with flared ends to fit over the 3" pipe or they do joiners.

Your system is almost identical to mine, matey. Same parts: Jetex pipework and Simons backbox. Your downpipe is different as my turbo sits alot lower down behind the engine than yours, so it is shorter with a very tight bend (in its own diameter - quite some welding!) from the turbo down into the tunnel.

So what we saying there then, it will be like having a piddly small pulley for low end as well as like having a larger pulley for up top kinda thing???

Pretty much, though I guess they would use their infinitely variable technology to get a seamless drive.

I'd expect it to give a much squarer torque curve, much like the turbos produce, and decent boost starting from lower down.

18th/19th September is kind of what I had in mind. Everyone else OK with that?

Is ther a decided date then? Trying to possibly tie it in with getting the Racelogic fitted as its a 400+mile journey for me. 2 birds with one stone and all that. I think Sunday would be better for me.

18th/19th September is kind of what I had in mind. Everyone else OK with that?

Is ther a decided date then? Trying to possibly tie it in with getting the Racelogic fitted as its a 400+mile journey for me. 2 birds with one stone and all that. I think Sunday would be better for me.

Just had a quick chat to vince and he said it would be the sunday if we are going ahead on that weekend.

Just had a quick chat to vince and he said it would be the sunday if we are going ahead on that weekend.

Thanks Ben, saves me a job ringing him and confirming!

So we're all happy with the 19th September then?

Well....for you lot maybe. I'm struggling to get gears at the moment. There's resistance on the pedal, so it's not the master or slave cylinder. I replace the shift tower and cables last year, so they're OK. Therefore it can only be the clutch. And if it is I will be severely f'cked off because it will the second Helix that's failed in as many years :bad-words:

Either way, I will be there, hopefully in my car. If not, in the missus's 1.8T :D

I might be jumping the gun blaming the clutch. I've spoken to Vince and he suggested bleeding the hydraulics first.

I had a new slave put in 5/6 years ago, so there's a chance it needs doing again, and also the car is almost on 190K miles on the original Maste cyl, so that could be on it's way out also.

I hate gearboxes! If it all has to come off again, I think I will just SORN it and get stuck into the 02M conversion tbh.....

Just wear and tear. I do a lot of miles in it.

The gears themselves are fine, it's just selecting them that's the problem :D

Have you got a link to a build thread of yours Kev? Would like to see all the jobs carried out on the C. Thanks in advance mate.

he hasnt got one yet, we are all still waiting :shrug: :lol:

the phirm checked my clutch when they did the chains and found it to be perfect after 10,000+ miles of it getting thrashed, but im not running massive power really. So im keeping the boost down now im using mine daily and hopefully wont have too many problems