Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

i hate the G-lader

:angry: she's been back for 9 days and now the supercharger has blown a hole in the top AGAIN!!! (2 chargers in 1 year):cry:

options people,

new Glader £500-£900 (yeah right)

BahnBrenner charger $2,299.00 whats that in £'s

with 50mm pulley $50extra (50mm wow thats mad)

Lysholm Screw charger £?? looking in to prices now

any advice appreciated, views or experience with the latter of the group

as you know i use the car for mainly drag racing so noise and economy are not a factor!:tongue:

daz i will call on the morrow!!

BBM use the Lysholm Screw charger, which as you pointed out is 2,299 USD = 1,308 GBP ish... I'd definately look into a lysholm conversion if you could work out a way to get the kit from the US without having to pay customs and VAT... otherwise it becomes a whole lot more expensive!

there the same wicked, option 2 it is then, i have a friend who lives in florida, what are the chances i could get it sent to me as a gift :) would that save me the charges

there are three different sizes of pulley 50, 53, 57

i'm thinking the 50mm for good measure, wonder what boost that would make anyone know?

its a bit hit and miss with sending stuff as gifts... officially your only aloud to send something with a maximum value of 36 quid I think it is, without paying tax and customs... although I got away with some dials marked about 100. There are ways to get around it, but its a bit of a risk - mark the package as scrap metal, or broken etc... therefore having a value of nothing... only problem is then that you have no insurance on the package, so if it spontaniously combusts, you end up with nothing :?

that might work... although may be a case of trying to claim the tax back at a later date... keep us posted on whether it does or not, as I've got a couple of mates that live in the states, and I'm always wanting cheap stuff from the US :wink:

luke : we did tell you it was going to need servicing sooner rather than later. Give me a call and ill give you some prices on the lysolm's if you want to go down that route

i was thinking about the bbm charger to,how much are we looking at,i could always sell my charger to raise some funds

just to add to the confusion...what about Etons????.....ive not heard anything about them.

just to add to the confusion...what about Etons????.....ive not heard anything about them.
AFAIK - Eaton chargers are fitted to early Mercedes "Kompressor" engines (M111). There seems to be a few available quite regularly on ebay. You'll need an adaptor plate to fit one to a G60 though.

AFAIK - Cooper S charger is too small.

So far as I'm aware, the reason that very few (if any) people use Eaton chargers is down to lack of marketing & not lack of quality.

For example, Mercedes now use them on the V8 5.5 litre AMG cars - developing 500bhp. :shock:

This is quite a difference to the normally aspirated V8 5.5 litre AMG's which develop approx 365bhp.

You'll need an adaptor plate to fit one to a G60 though.

would be interesting to know how much of a ballache it is to put one on....they seem to be cheap as fook....im assuming this adapter plate would have to be custom made?.

Only reason I didn't get an Eaton when I replaced my charger earlier this year was because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of "making it fit".

Yeah...its the " making it fit " bit that worries me....especially as i'd have to pay for someone else to do it!!....shame theres not someone that's already done it on here to give a bit of 1st hand advice.

TSR used to offer it as an off the shelf conversion for 2.5k...do the maths then buy the lysolm kit...:wink: if you want to go screw charger..

the g-lader is not unrelible if its matained as it should be... people seem to forget its not just a bolt on and forget part unfortunatly

ive imported a few bits from usa...you stand the best chance of getting it tax free if sent via their regular post office....fed ex/ups will have you over for sure

you can have it marked as a gift and or low value, but if they open it (prob wont) and it looks like its worth $$$$$$$ then they may look into it more

out of say...20 packages ive had one that got taxed/duty and that was fed ex, no probs with us post office

to be honest i'll get what ever daz advices as i aint fitting it!,

as for the charger was going to get it done next month but o well, luckly i was'nt driving the car so they've offered to pay for the charger's worth,so on the bright side, if i do the maths £600 charger (was gonna) £service+port £500 £toothed belt kit £350, that nearly pays for the BBM after postage anyway

charger001.jpg

charger002.jpg

not bad, bigger hole than the last time, but the bearing are still in

TSR used to offer it as an off the shelf conversion for 2.5k...do the maths then buy the lysolm kit... if you want to go screw charger..

the g-lader is not unrelible if its matained as it should be... people seem to forget its not just a bolt on and forget part unfortunatly

yeah i was just concentrating on having the charger serviced by your good self, but having heard loads of horror stories ((none from people having had their charger done at g-works i might add!!)) and seeing Eaton chargers going for a few hundred quid i thought it might be worthwhile seeing how easy the convertion is...i didnt realise it would be as much as 2.5k!! :shock:

Theres 2 blokes locally who have BBM chargers, one on a 16v, and i cant stand the sound of them...im more than happy with the g-lader apart from the paranoia of it blowing up and costing me a fortune. :oops: ....

what does the BBM sound liike then they say

Keep in mind that this charger is much louder than the G-Lader and will attract some attention. The BBM Screw Compressor kit on the G60 platform sounds similar to a high boost blown V8 drag engine with a gear drive.

sounds good to me!

I've got a spare moddied Jetta TD turbo manifold that i used on my 1st G60 corrado,with a garret T3 turbo the preformance difference was quite something.

Let me know if you need it.